Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition Coils

Hi,

I'm new to this Forum. I have a Porsche 986 Boxster 2002 59 000 miles.

I'm getting ready for my 60 000 mile service (to do myself) and I'm shopping for ignition coils, since they seem to be the most expensive part of the service.

I've read about the coils starting with the serial number 996 and the ones starting with 997. I read that the 997's were the newest ones on the market. Is there a difference?

I found a good deal on Ebay for the 997's for about $300, has anybody found a better deal anywhere?

Link to Ebay

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/sportsca...=1&...from=&_ipg=

Thanks

Markus

Unless you are having misfire problems, I don't know that I would worry about replacing coils. I just did my 60k service, the right side plugs were pretty easy, the front two on the left side were a pain. There is a plastic splash shield in each wheel well that has two plastic nuts. With the car up on jackstands, pull the rear wheels and those splash shields and you'll be able at least see the plugs. I used a spark plug socket on a 3 inch extension, them a swivel, then a 9 inch extension, then the ratchet. Use a torque wrench to tighten them, they are not really that tight.

The connectors to the coils have a swueeze connector under the black boot on top of each coil. Squeeze the connecter ( the "latch" will be facing you ) to unplug them, remove the two allen screw, wiggle them and they will come free. I just cleaned them up, and put a dab of dielectric grease in each connector. Again, don't over tighten, they are plastic and bolted to the engine.

Check you cv boots while you are there, all four of mine were split. I also replaced the gearbox oil, since I was there. The serp belt is easy, I used a shallow 15/16 socket and a 1/2 drive breaker bar.

From what I've read online, unless you are getting a misfide CEL, or can actually see a crack in the coil, there is no reason to replace it. You could also use a multimeter and check them. Most of the cracked coils seem to come from people tightening them down too much after replacing plugs. This is a plastic item bolted to the head and can get brittle, so if you tighten them too much, they could crack.

Again, unless it has physical damage, just put them back on and be gentile with them.

• Moderators

If they look like this, then replace them. Pics from Tim on boxa.net.

I once asked Peter Smith why they sometimes cracked. I thought it was from the heat of the engine. Peter thought it was from the heat generated by the coil itself. Maybe a combination of both.

post-4-1254323688_thumb.jpg

post-4-1254323717_thumb.jpg

Seems that Boxsters and 911's have fewer coil pack issues than a lot of cars, and I'd argue that the increased amount of air around these engines is good for the coil packs versus being tucked under the front engine bay of most cars, which get pretty warm.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My engine started missfiring after changing the sparkplugs. I guess the coils were so old, that some of them cracked while pulling them out. I changed them all, so that I don't have to deal with them again for a long time.

It seems like the price of the coils went down to $239 too, I wish I could have got that price :)

Markus

• 2 months later...
Hi,

My engine started missfiring after changing the sparkplugs. I guess the coils were so old, that some of them cracked while pulling them out. I changed them all, so that I don't have to deal with them again for a long time.

It seems like the price of the coils went down to $239 too, I wish I could have got that price :)

Markus

I know this is quite a few months ago, but just wondering Markus... Did you notice a difference in how your engine performed and felt after replacing the coils?