Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clunking Noise From the back of the car

Ok, let us know how it goes. Does your sound come from the top, under the convertible cover when you go over bumps at slower speeds, and sometimes when you shift out of 1st?

Kind of...

My noise is only heard between 5-30ish miles per hour going over small bumps. It sounds like its coming from the rear suspension. Changing gears has never exemplified the noise.

You may want to check a motor mount. From what ive heard acceleration can cause a clunking sound in the motor mount. Maybe some of the more experienced guys can elaborate on that more than I can.

Hi guys,

this might sound a bit silly or a bit basic, but sometimes an easy fix is a good fix. Try taking the carpet out from the rear trunk and then the wood panels out. Take it for a drive up the street with these out and see if the problem is fixed. I found the wood panels in my trunk were making a noise at low speeds over bumps. I ended up just putting some felt under them and the problem was solved!

Sam

Hi guys,

this might sound a bit silly or a bit basic, but sometimes an easy fix is a good fix. Try taking the carpet out from the rear trunk and then the wood panels out. Take it for a drive up the street with these out and see if the problem is fixed. I found the wood panels in my trunk were making a noise at low speeds over bumps. I ended up just putting some felt under them and the problem was solved!

Sam

You know, I dont think thats really it..... but im going to try it :)

Thanks for that tip.

And BTW if thats the problem, I wouldnt know what to say

Yeah I know - I thought the same, but thought I would start off with the easy things to try. Only takes 30 seconds to strip the boot out and go for a drive up the street!

Sam

OK, I got the rear track arm yesterday... I doubt ill have time tonight but Im going to try and find the time to do it tomorrow. Once its complete ill post some pics and results...

OK, so its Saturday morning and Ive decided i'm going to get the rear drivers side track arm replaced... or die trying. I printed out a walkthrought that I believe CJ_Boxster posted on here that detailed step-by-step how to replace the arm. It took me all in all about two hours.

I jacked the wheel up, removed the plastic housing in the wheel well, removed the bolt attaching the arm to the wheel assembly then the bolt that attached the arm to the chassis. Both bolts were extremely difficult to loosen, especially the one attaching the arm to the chassis! That one took a LOT of motivation!

I reinstalled the new arm in reverse order. It was a little tough to get the arm back in place. Then it was even more difficult to get the bushing aligned correctly so that the bolt would fit in the hole where the arm attached to the chassis. I managed to get it all lined up and torqued back on. Put the wheel back on and took the vehicle for a spin.

I started the car (which was a little weird, see my other post), let her run for a few minutes than took her around the block and down the street.

The CLUNKING NOISE WAS GONE!!! So this fix did remedy the clunking noise for me!

Problem... SOLVED!

post-49300-1257025536_thumb.jpg

post-49300-1257026054_thumb.jpg