Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hood seems like it has a indent at the front

Thanks dphatch! I suspect you are correct with the thought that it was there to strengthen the hood. I'm also thinking it might have the inverse effect but I need to gather more examples. Could it be from hi-speed pressure pushing against that area???? I have to say that I am not a fast driver so I don't see how on rare occasional my 90mph (maybe a little more) would have this effect but throwing it into the possible causes.

Thanks dphatch! I suspect you are correct with the thought that it was there to strengthen the hood. I'm also thinking it might have the inverse effect but I need to gather more examples. Could it be from hi-speed pressure pushing against that area???? I have to say that I am not a fast driver so I don't see how on rare occasional my 90mph (maybe a little more) would have this effect but throwing it into the possible causes.

Not possible. The material appears to be very stiff and is completely bonded to the underside of the hood. No way you could generate anywhere near enough air pressure at any speed to compress the hood in this area. It is interesting that no one else has confirmed either the absence of this material or the existence of it on their specific model year cars. Don't think it's unique to 997's and it should be visible on Boxsters and Caymans, maybe MY '07 and newer, as all these cars are nearly identical in this area.

I know what people have said here and I know EXACTLY what you are referring to. I am telling you that EVERY SINGLE 997 has the same hood design and the same appearance as the picture you posted. Yes, for those of you reading this who think their car does not have this indentation, it is there. I promise you.

The problem is, that different colors reflect this in different ways. On my car (midnight blue metallic) you cannot see this at all, under any circumstances, lighting conditions, etc. However, when I have my car cover on it, it is plain as day. It is a very weird engineered design, but it is definitely there on every 997 I have come across.

This is not a problem, this is the engineered design.

Skizot, you are correct.

Okay I know I said that I don't have the indent but I do. ;) I saw it the other day for the first time. The light and angle have to be just right to see it but it is there.

Jroach, at least you know that it's normal.

Happy Holidays

Skizot, you are correct.

Okay I know I said that I don't have the indent but I do. ;) I saw it the other day for the first time. The light and angle have to be just right to see it but it is there.

Jroach, at least you know that it's normal.

Happy Holidays

By GOLLY! It IS there! I could only see it by looking in the area at an angle and shifting my head just enough, so I could see the ever so slight change in the reflection of the junk in my garage.

Edited by 355bhp

• 4 weeks later...
Skizot, WHat is the purpose of the indention? For the Whistle?

I'm not entirely sure. If I were to guess, I would say it is something to do with both the structural design of the hood in case of a front end crash and/or aerodynamic reasoning.

Edited by skizot