Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

0 - 60 times, whats the deal?

Porsche claims 0 - 60 times of 4.9 seconds (I think) for my 2007 C4. I just finished reading a Car and Driver comparison of an Audi S4 and a BMW 335i. They both weigh in at 3900 - 4000 lbs, 333 HP, and the mag said that they both ran 0 - 60 times of 4.9 seconds. What? So I searched the web for measured 911 0 - 60 times, but most of the reported times simply quote the Porsche spec. I did find one measured time for a 2007 Carrera that was posted at 5.1 seconds. I can't believe my ~3300 lb 325 hp C4 is slower than a 4000 lb 333 hp Audi sedan. Does anyone have any real data on 0 - 60 times for a 997-1? Thx.

Driver has more to do with variability than the car. Car and Driver magazine is usually pretty accurate since they use the same people to test cars, see if you can find what data they have on newer 911's. Because if one guy out there were to get a 4.5 sec 0-60 from an S4 im sure everyone you asked would say their S4 does 0-60 in 4.5 when in reality it doesn't. Temperature, tires, road surface, and driver are hardly ever the same so dont worry about 0-60 times and just worry about enjoying the car. Can you tell the difference between 4.9 and 5.1?

Driver has more to do with variability than the car. Car and Driver magazine is usually pretty accurate since they use the same people to test cars, see if you can find what data they have on newer 911's. Because if one guy out there were to get a 4.5 sec 0-60 from an S4 im sure everyone you asked would say their S4 does 0-60 in 4.5 when in reality it doesn't. Temperature, tires, road surface, and driver are hardly ever the same so dont worry about 0-60 times and just worry about enjoying the car. Can you tell the difference between 4.9 and 5.1?

I agree. It's more of a psychological thing than an actual speed thing.

You feel that because it's a Porsche 911 it should beat a Audi S4 hands down.

The truth is, cars making has gotten so much better that cars doing 0-60 in <5 seconds are everywhere.

But IMO the 911 gives you more than just that speed, it's the whole package, the handling, the sound,

the feel, the history and yes, you must admit, the prestige that comes with it.

Put it this way, if Tiger Woods used my 5 iron, he can probably still hit it 200+ yards but if I used his

5 iron...well you get the point.

Marc

I had this slight Dilemma a while back... Most of my friends have sports cars and I have a 2005 C2S, and we would always be giving each other crap for how each persons personally car was the best. The comparison was an Audi R8, Jag XKR (supercharged), Aston V8 Vantage, Carrera 4S, Cayman S, and my C2S. So what we did was instead of drag racing each other was we all drove each others cars... And that's when I knew how special my C2S was. The R8 is great as a package the only beef I have with it is that it's not as fast as you'd expect, the XKR has no explosive power to it (compared to my C2S my car is like a bomb going off when I floor it!!!). Same with the Aston, its not as explosive as you want it to be, more of a grand tourer. Cayman S is just like a mini Carrera in terms of power but rides pretty well in the bends. In the end of the day its not the numbers its the feel of the whole package you get.

The Carrera's put down their power in such a great explosive manner plus go around the bends in their own special way (given they are rear engine vehicles, I don't care what numbers you track down they just really feel like pitbulls when you floor the peddle, and everyone who drove the Carrera's felt it! As long as you are happy with the performance and feedback of your car don't think about any of the numbers out there. In the end of the day its the feeling you have after a drive in your Porsche that matters. Personally the only car that I would ever trade my Porsche in for is either the new 991 (998) Carrera S or the Audi R8 (even with the lack of power the confidence on the road this car gives you lets it run with the GT3 on the road not the track, plus I have to admit its sexier than a Carrera)....