Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight not locking into position

Headlight on drivers side 2006 Cayenne Turbo is not locking into position, and there is a gap between the headlight and front bumper where you can put a finger tip into. Drivers side headlamp does not fit flush like the passenger side. Do I need to replace the headlight mount?

Check that you have the assembly in the lower guides.

Hi vcar. all i know is that when i put the headlight in it fits right into where it turns on perfectly, and ther e are only two guides that fit that i can see and there is still a gap. i also notice looking through the gap that i can see the metal bar that locks barely comes up from the bottom of the lock positon, but still not all the way up. I then turn the allen key to lock again to see if the pin will rise all the way to lock position and i just notice that it does not have the torque to. Is it possible that the pin is so loose that it no longer has the torque to crank it all the way up into lock position> i though i heard that when this happens the bottom headlight mount has to be replaced?

I've never actually looked but I don't think you should be able to see the locking arm between the headlight assembly and the body. It sounds like you don't have the headlight sitting in the lower guide rails but above them. It's also not wise to have the lights activated unless it is locked into position.

• 5 years later...

Just a reminder on this topic if you are using the Porsche supplied headlight wrench. When turning the wrench while attempting to lock in my headlights... Mine felt like the gears were stripped and were skipping. While closely inspecting the wrench itself ... The wrench had fine splits along the sides of the hex and were actually opening while twisting and not allowing the mech to lock in the headlight ... I switched to an extension and socket instead and the lock engaged correctly. The metal used on those wrenches are very soft..

I disconnected the plugs and cut the plastic mount off the rear of the housing. reconnected the plug (very tight fit) and wound the light in. Before I did this, the connections would not engage properly and I had all kinds of error codes and light problems. How any engineer could think it is a good idea to use rails to locate a multi pin plug defeats me. I have had no problems at all since making this quick mod...

Steve

I disconnected the plugs and cut the plastic mount off the rear of the housing. reconnected the plug (very tight fit) and wound the light in. Before I did this, the connections would not engage properly and I had all kinds of error codes and light problems. How any engineer could think it is a good idea to use rails to locate a multi pin plug defeats me. I have had no problems at all since making this quick mod...

Steve

I had to do this to both sides of my 2004 Cayenne Turbo.  Before, it would throw errors and have intermittent failing lights, mostly turn signals.  Afterward, not a single problem.  It should not be a tight fit, however.  The short harness allows a fair amount of room to fully seat those connectors before sliding the assembly back in the rails and locking them down.  I agree that the design is lacking!

Edited by martadon