Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Strange behaviour on Startup today (05 C2S)

Dear Porsche Lovers,

I have has my 997S (05) for about 6 months now. I drive it once a week or and yes I am spirited drivers. So far no issues. However this morning when I started the car, it started off with some strange klanking noises in the engine, un-even engine idle, nasty smell, (I think it was burning the oil) and then the check engine light came on (Flashing) along with 'Visit repair shop' on display. At the same time idle started to normalize, smell dissipated. However I turned the car off immediately. Waited for about couple of minutes and started it again.

This time started off totally fine. No rough idle, check engine light is gone, engine sounding as it should. Moved the car a bit around, no issues. There are no leaks anywhere.

I checked the oil level on the display after 30 min and it was at the low end of the indicator. (It was in the middle last weeK).

Question. What happened?? Did something get damaged, broken.....or is this to be expected every so often on these cars.

The car is under full warranty (Extended) so I will get it checked with I am back from vacation, but any ideas what could have happened would be help.

Thank you

Noor.

Dear Porsche Lovers,

I have has my 997S (05) for about 6 months now. I drive it once a week or and yes I am spirited drivers. So far no issues. However this morning when I started the car, it started off with some strange klanking noises in the engine, un-even engine idle, nasty smell, (I think it was burning the oil) and then the check engine light came on (Flashing) along with 'Visit repair shop' on display. At the same time idle started to normalize, smell dissipated. However I turned the car off immediately. Waited for about couple of minutes and started it again.

This time started off totally fine. No rough idle, check engine light is gone, engine sounding as it should. Moved the car a bit around, no issues. There are no leaks anywhere.

I checked the oil level on the display after 30 min and it was at the low end of the indicator. (It was in the middle last weeK).

Question. What happened?? Did something get damaged, broken.....or is this to be expected every so often on these cars.

The car is under full warranty (Extended) so I will get it checked with I am back from vacation, but any ideas what could have happened would be help.

Thank you

Noor.

I am not a mechanic and not sure if your issue is similar to the one I had in the past, but last time I heard a weird noise on star-up and got check engine light (on my 05 C2C) it was the infamous IMS! However, since you have the extended warranty you should not worry :D In fact, you should hope that it is the IMS issue cause you will be getting a brand new engine! :clapping:

Bottom line; don't worry if you have the warranty just do what it says (take it to the workshop).

Goodluck and maybe someone else with mechanical experience can help you more.

H

Edited by Hamad

Car has a little shy of 25K. As per the IMS. I have no experience with the IMS problem except for reading about it. But as I understand it is shaft failure and the engine basically seizes. But in the case Engine is now running fine after the strange sounds, rough idle and burning some oil. So could it be the IMS or may be it is the spark plugs/coil issues etc. Not sure.

Thanks.

Edited by Noor

Car has a little shy of 25K. As per the IMS. I have no experience with the IMS problem except for reading about it. But as I understand it is shaft failure and the engine basically seizes. But in the case Engine is now running fine after the strange sounds, rough idle and burning some oil. So could it be the IMS or may be it is the spark plugs/coil issues etc. Not sure.

Thanks.

Noor,

I have to say I am not sure, however, in my case the noise/engine light came on screen two or three times a day when I had the IMS. there was lots of smoke on start-up as well.

I remember the first thing the garage did when I took the car there (before stripping down the engine) was checking spark plugs, wiring harness, and coil. So you might be right and its not as serious. Best thing to do is to take it to dealer.

keep us posted,

H