Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster S Track Wheel Question

Hi, I Just Bought a 2006 Boxster S, Nice upgrade from my 99 Boxster. I am now looking for a 2nd set of wheel to put track tire on, I was looking for some used cosmetic damaged 18 inch oem wheel, but they are pretty hard to find. I really don't care about the look, I just want them to be straight and work just like oem ones. I didn't really considered third party wheels, is there any aftermarket brand that worth it? or should I really stick to OEM wheel? By the way, I am not interested in spending more money to get fancy liteweight wheel (in case thats your advice).

Thanks! :)

Hi, I Just Bought a 2006 Boxster S, Nice upgrade from my 99 Boxster. I am now looking for a 2nd set of wheel to put track tire on, I was looking for some used cosmetic damaged 18 inch oem wheel, but they are pretty hard to find. I really don't care about the look, I just want them to be straight and work just like oem ones. I didn't really considered third party wheels, is there any aftermarket brand that worth it? or should I really stick to OEM wheel? By the way, I am not interested in spending more money to get fancy liteweight wheel (in case thats your advice).

Thanks! :)

I have always stuck with the OEM wheels because I know they are quality (made by BBS) and I know they will fit. The fit being really important. It is hard to figure out which of the aftermarket ones will fit properly. With my 986S track car, I looked at a lot of aftermarket wheels, and struggled to find ones of the exact OEM widths and offsets. I was uncomfortable shelling out a bunch of bucks, then mounting tires, only to find they don't fit.

There are some good aftermarket wheels out there at decent prices....OZ, for example. But it is the fit that I have struggled with.

I go the route you have suggested above - buying used OEM wheels without real consideration with the look. (They are, BTW, easy to clean up and repair with some bondo, quality spray paint, patience and elbow grease, if you are so inclined.)

I have found sets at places like LA Porsche Dismantlers, Oklahoma Foreign, Craig's List and here on renntech. (I have 4 1/2 sets of mounted race wheels at the moment - it is remarkable my wife has not kicked me out. :D )

Weight does matter, BTW - unsprung mass is bad for handling. But a lot of the OEM wheels available are pretty light. I use Carrera 5 spoke - light and strong.

Now, there are Porsche knock offs. A lot of people use them, even on the track. The race shop I work with uses them on some race cars, but there will be people on this board that tell you never to use them. I don't know. If you are patient and spend some time looking, you will find what you need on the used market. BUT!! check the price against brand new ones - some folks are asking for too much. See what Sunset and.or Suncoast will sell brand new ones for.

Curious as to why 18's?

I've bought a set of 17" 997 wheels for track work...the rubber is darn sight cheaper!

track2.jpg

Honestly, because I tought 18" was the smallest to fit on a 987S. I knew every secret of my 986, but I'm still very new with the 987 .

But also because I had with the car a set of 18" track tire, and I wanted to keep the same handling/feeling as the stock one.

I'm brigning a situation, but very opened to any suggestion because I know alot a peoples passed trough this exactly same question before me :)

Is there advantage/desadvantage going to 17" wheel for the track ?

Stock wheels on 987S are 8x18 and 9x18. what width are those 997 17" ones? I guess I don't want to go narrower, and I guess I can't really go larger.

Edited by vipola

Curious as to why 18's?

I've bought a set of 17" 997 wheels for track work...the rubber is darn sight cheaper!

track2.jpg

Honestly, because I tought 18" was the smallest to fit on a 987S. I knew every secret of my 986, but I'm still very new with the 987 .

But also because I had with the car a set of 18" track tire, and I wanted to keep the same handling/feeling as the stock one.

I'm brigning a situation, but very opened to any suggestion because I know alot a peoples passed trough this exactly same question before me :)

Is there advantage/desadvantage going to 17" wheel for the track ?

Stock wheels on 987S are 8x18 and 9x18. what width are those 997 17" ones? I guess I don't want to go narrower, and I guess I can't really go larger.

More choice in 17" wheels and tires - cheaper too. More torque, less straightaway speed.

More choice in 17" wheels and tires - cheaper too. More torque, less straightaway speed.

Ehhh.. I'm not sure about that one, the goal here is to compensate the size of the wheel with the tire profile ratio to get the same outside diameter size. It should not impact acceleration/topspeed. In that case it would effect ground clearance and probably cause suspension issues..

Edited by vipola

I made sure the rolling radius was the same when I swapped tyres. Those were standard 17's on a UK-spec 987, I just sprayed them black.

For track work, I would have thought smaller wheels are better - if 16's would've fitted over the calipers, I would have used those.