Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

05 997C2S - Unable to change gears

I messed up and drove my 05 997C2S too hard in the 1st & 2nd gear Saturday night. It was late at night and there wasn't any traffic. I took off from an intersection in 1st and changed to 2nd and then stopped at red light at the next intersection. Then I tried to change the gear to 1st and it wouldn't change. After 5-10 minutes trying shutting the car off and on several times, I couldn't get it to change. Luckily I was close to the house and the only way I could get in the 1st gear was to shut the car off and put it in 1st and then start the car and drive. But then it wouldn't downshift so i drove it in 1st for few hundred feet and parked it in the garage and went to sleep thinking that whatever it was would reset overnight. Lol!

But it wasn't in my luck. Now when I press the clutch and try to change gears, it won't go in any gears. The clutch feels different too.

My guess is that the clutch is gone!

Could it be anything else other than the clutch?

:renntech:

Probably your clutch but could be your shift cables. It doesn't sound like you did anything that could have damaged the tranny. How many miles are on your clutch? Depending on how you drive your clutch life can varie dramatically. If you say the "clutch feels different" that is not a good sign (for your clutch.)

I would get it towed to your favorite mechanic and get it diagnosed.

Let us know what you find out.

:cheers:

It has 25750 miles to be exact. I spoke to my local inde mechanic and he thinks it's the hydraulics. He is going to come to my house and take a look at it on Saturday. Very nice guy. He helped me out once before and didn't charge for his service even though I offered to pay him for his trouble. He is also the local PCA tech guru. I just hope its not the clutch. We'll find out on Saturday.

We had to get it towed. My mechanic checked the hydraulics, the shifter cables and the cylinders and those checked okay. So now he says he has to check the clutch. I am now depressed as I was not expecting this expense, not at this time of my life since Monday January 4th I have to go to court and sign the final divorce decree.

Oh, well! I guess thats life. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Okay! Time for Update! Mechanic removed the engine and transmission and took the clutch apart. We didn't really see anything broken. Burnt spots, some rust, pilot bearing not moving freely, oil leak behind the flywheel seal. Slave Cylinder was replaced before taking down the engine/transmission because it wasn't engaging properly but that didn't fix the issue. So the total is going to cost me $1560.

Labor: = 782 (9.2hrs x 85/hr)

Slave Cylinder = 92

Brake Fluid = 7

Clutch Kit = 600

Flywheel Seal = 18

Pilot Bearing = 35

Power Steering Fluid = 11

Coolant = 15

See pictures!!!!!!

:renntech:

post-44542-1262984573_thumb.jpg

post-44542-1262984592_thumb.jpg