Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Any Comments On The Speakers ....

any comments on the speakers that go behind the driver and passenger seats? Are they worth it and how easy is it to install? Any comments at all would be nice.

I have an 01 S

I put the rear speaker set in . I think they improve the sound a lot. Not the best speakers out there but the kit was worth the price. If you are not real handy ,There were some places (Paris Audio..not sure if still around ) that you could ship the rear shelf unit to and they would install a better set for you and return it all ready to put back in car. I enjoyed the install.

I just found the post I put on porsche petes after install.. here is a copy:

I just finished the rear speaker kit and despite some frustrations installing it is the cheapest improvement out there for a Porsche.

I followed the instructions on pelicanparts.com and would like to add some suggestions.

Removal the Bins from Storage Compartment

I used a soldering iron to soften up the epoxy (or whatever it is)then a straight razor to cut down through. there are tabs on each side which need to be depressed to get out the bins which was difficult as I had glue into those but with patience got them out.

Installing the grills:

I had to grind a lot to get them to fit. I guarantee I wasnt doing anything wrong. They are not made to just snap in but look great after some work.

Installing the Wiring Harness:

The white plastic clip holds the plugs connecting the wires from the front and wires from rear box. The plug slides onto the clip.

I was not excited about pulling up the carpeting in front to run wires and was able to do so nicely. when you take off thepassenger side dash cover, if you look underneath on the right side wall you will see a bunch of wires heading down and eventually under the door sill where you will run your wire from the rear. Pass one of the cable ties down along these wires and it will eventually pass into the sill . You can attach the wires from rear and pull gently to feed them up . Use the tie to feed cable up towards radio . Also use tie by passing into radio compartment and out the back to pull wires int back of compartment .

When putting the wires into the brown Plug make sure they are absolutely in the right place because once pushed in I could not figure out in any way how to change them .

Edited by GREBNET

I did this mod on my 2003 Boxster S. It is a worthwhile improvement. I'm sure there are better quality speakers than those in the stock Porsche kit, but they work well enough for me. I started a thread on 8/14/04 in the DIY section called "Removing Rear Storage Compartment" that evolved into a nice summary about how to install the rear speaker kit. The mod adds a lot to the surround sound effect in the Boxster. My problem before the mod was that the sound all came from the front and sides and it didn't sound natural. I say, do it!

That's definately DIY, but I have different opinion.

Contrary to what I read before, I didn't experience any noticable improvement.

I sugguest you to listen to someone else's first.

I also heard it makes noticable difference only if you connect directly to 996's 6X4Amp(most people connect to radio unit).

any comments on the speakers that go behind the driver and passenger seats? Are they worth it and how easy is it to install? Any comments at all would be nice.

Use the PNP rear speaker kit available on eBay. They include better speakers than the factory kit and sound very clean. I also upgraded to the 6 channel 996 amp. The results are outstanding!