Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dashboard and navi problems

Backround: Cayenne 2009 PCM3, recently added Nav-tv BT, and installed Voice control stalk (doesnt work even though it is enabled on PCM3 by Nav-tv unit but that is a separate problem). All my additional installations could be irrelevant to the problem but I thought I would mention.

Problem: after about one hour of driving two pieces of info (navigation and music data) begin to disappear and appear on the main display on dashboard. No other data (tire pressure, "main menu" etc) exibits the same problem so I deduct it only relates to data fed from PCM (music info and navi).

I found no correlation to any other activity/outside temperature/music source of this behavior. The only thinking i have is that something heats up in PCM/Connectors and looses contact.

Anybody seem something like this before? What contacts on the back of PCM3 relate this info to dashboard (maybe it is just loose connector)? Thanks

Did you mount the NAV-tv module in the recess behind the PCM? If so try moving it up / down / one side or the other. If the '09 is similar to the '08, there is a styrofoam duct that feeds the rear seat HVAC behind the PCM unit that can get collapsed, or you may just have the Nav-tv unit in such a particular spot that it is preventing ventilation of the PCM causing an over heating condition. Try moving the module to see is condition is repeatable.

Did you mount the NAV-tv module in the recess behind the PCM? If so try moving it up / down / one side or the other. If the '09 is similar to the '08, there is a styrofoam duct that feeds the rear seat HVAC behind the PCM unit that can get collapsed, or you may just have the Nav-tv unit in such a particular spot that it is preventing ventilation of the PCM causing an over heating condition. Try moving the module to see is condition is repeatable.

wow, havent thought of that. that is a good point. will get back on the results

• 2 weeks later...

I have now moved Nav-tv to the side. The problem is still there but I have confirmed that it relates to heating as it only happens after heating has been turned on for some time and only in the dircetion of feet (down). So you must be right that it has something to do with that air duct. I checked all connections - all fine. totally at a loss...

Well that is sort of good news - a start anyway. Can you temporarily move the NAV-tv unit to the glove compartment to see if this eliminates the problem? The other thing i'd check is that all the ducts are not compromised - collapsed or inadvertently pulled apart / punctured during installation. Image shows the duct layout for a 9PA Cayenne; should be pretty close to yours. If you don't see anything readily apparent, remove the PCM and turn the blowers / fans on high, then feel for leaks. If you tape / tie a piece of tinsel on a wooden dowel it should flag a leak location when used as a probe.

post-37758-1263083285_thumb.jpg

Edited by egr58