Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

hi and thanks for having a look. i have a 2002 996 C2 Cab and currently running the optional 18" sport design wheels with measurements of (taken from service info book):

front 225/40 ZR 18

on 8 J x 18 RO 50 (52)

rear 285/30 ZR 18

on 10 J x 18 RO 65

and my questions are... what would increasing the width of the wheel do to the car overall? (im thinking wider wheel = more surface area and friction which equates to more traction and drag). spacers can simulate this and i guess if u didnt want to purchase different wheels, then that would be an easy route. not to mention you could have spacers for multiple setups cost effectively.

does anyone have feedback from setups like these?

front 8.5 x 18

rear 10.5 x 18

or

front 8.5 x 18

rear 11 x 18

:renntech:

If the object is to put more tire on the car you'd have to checkout widths and the aspect ratio needed to avoid changing the rolling radius and the speedometer reading. There will be an increase in unsprung weight.

If you only want wider wheels and same tires you might or might not gain something from having the sidewalls more vertical. Depends on the specs for min/max wheel width for the tires. Tire Rack can help with that info.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to take a look at the PCA forums. There is a lot of information on this. You can fairly easily go to the wider widths as long as you are mindful of the propoer offsets. There are caluclators out there that can help. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think the GT3's ran 8.5's up front and 11's in the rear. Of course they have different suspensions (you may need coilovers otherwise the wheels may not clear the fat stock springs. If you get the right offsets and have the right suspension - you shouldn't need the spacers. Be careful about wheel witdts and recommended tire widths. I wouldn't stretch a tire to the limit on a rim. Hope this helps. (FYI - I'm heading for racing slicks for track tires - will looking at 8.5 fronts and 11" rears - with the correct offsets - they'll fit on my 2002 C2). Good luck.