Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Random "Load new map data" question - problem?

Curious if anybody has seen this. My PCM 2.1 nav system intermittendly confronts me with the question "Load new map data?" (screenshot below). This happens without me having done anything - i.e. not ejected/reinserted the nav disk. It happens every couple of days when I start the car in the garage or a parking lot and I have also had it while driving along. Really strange. I always answer yes, a progress bar apprears and shows the load progress and after a minute or so everything seems normal again. Nav works, music plays, etc.

Anybody got any ideas why this could be? I doubt it has anything to do with it, but for completeness, I have a mobridge with blutooth on the MOST bus as well as the bose system but no CD changer. 06 C2S cab, Porsche nav system dealer installed 8 months ago.

post-37870-1264477625_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaybart

Curious if anybody has seen this. My PCM 2.1 nav system intermittendly confronts me with the question "Load new map data?" (screenshot below). This happens without me having done anything - i.e. not ejected/reinserted the nav disk. It happens every couple of days when I start the car in the garage or a parking lot and I have also had it while driving along. Really strange. I always answer yes, a progress bar apprears and shows the load progress and after a minute or so everything seems normal again. Nav works, music plays, etc.

Anybody got any ideas why this could be? I doubt it has anything to do with it, but for completeness, I have a mobridge with blutooth on the MOST bus as well as the bose system but no CD changer. 06 C2S cab, Porsche nav system dealer installed 8 months ago.

I had that randomly, with my 06S, Dension, bta-1500,bose and no CD changer , after updating to 08 map software and map data. It went away eventually, or at least became less of a problem.

They could try a reinstall of the updated Maps, There is a new version out now, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like your navi drive is losing its memory, do you have an intermittent power problem on the navi drive? The only other thing that can cause this is condensation on the map DVD or use of a backup rather than original disc.

Thanks for the response. I'm kind of glad you're pointing to power and not the MOST - seems to me that could be much harder to troubleshoot. Is there something definite to rule out the MOST connection as the source of the problem? In the meantime I'll check the power connections on the drive and see if there might be something "wiggly" there.

On the other points: I'm using the original disk and I'll consider condensation last as the car hardly ever gets wet, is always garaged, lives in Southern California, and the problem does show up after passing bumps at times - but puzzeling enough also at times when just pulling out of the garage. Actually most of the cases are when just getting into the car and starting it ...

So hopefully I find a loose power or ground connection ... I'll let you know.

The DVD drive could have a dirty lense or it could be the gimball mounts are getting tired., this would cause data read errors resulting in the errors you see. I know Cd changers with the same problem can be refurbished. A quick spin with a DVD lens cleaner may also help. The PCM acts the timer and sequencer so if its a MOST issue it could be expensive...

• 1 month later...

The DVD drive could have a dirty lense or it could be the gimball mounts are getting tired., this would cause data read errors resulting in the errors you see. I know Cd changers with the same problem can be refurbished. A quick spin with a DVD lens cleaner may also help. The PCM acts the timer and sequencer so if its a MOST issue it could be expensive...

Edited by vizcarra44