Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear bumper Euro style

Does anyone know how to convert my us 99 model 996 rear bumper to Eurostyle bumper?

Need to remove the two black bumperettes in order to fit (make room for) a standard Euro licenceplate.

What can I do with the square houles in the bumper and bumperettes brackets? Are they removeble?

Does anyone have suggestions? The yellow 911 is mine US imported 996.

Thanks, Per Gunnar

post-51023-1265748143_thumb.jpg

post-51023-1265748172_thumb.jpg

I think the only solution is to buy the Euro rear bumper cover.

I've wondered before why Eric the Bumper Plug Guy doesn't do something clever.

You could enlarge the holes and install screens to claim heat dissipation! :D

Edited by 70Sixter

I think the only solution is to buy the Euro rear bumper cover.

I did a DIY removal of the bumperettes. After removing a few bolts, the aluminum bumperette frame is exposed. I ended up removing the whole rear bumper frame, then drilling out the rivets that hold on the bumperette frame. Best advice is to have a quality body shop plastic weld the EXACT SAME plastic type (vw, audit, etc.) to fill in the holes. Afterwards, a paint job. You can install the bumper yourself.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/175...ete-photos.html

• 11 months later...

I read somewhere that repair was not possible. Good to know. I wanted to keep the original bumper cover. Just in case....

I like the screens you have in the front. I think they look good in back with the license plate area cut out like a spec Boxster.

I actually think that parts of Europe eg: France, Spain etc. should have these too "Have you seen them try to park"

Lets put it this way if you go there leave your car in neutral and the handbrake off "your get less damage"!.

We don't have them in the UK, as we don't need them Parking is part of our driving test. :P

Edited by thirteeneast

• 2 weeks later...

I brought a 996 facelift back to Germany one year ago and thought about removing the bumperettes. I talked to several guys who know quite well about 996 models. Result was:

1. Pre facelift 98-02

Pre facelift is "quite easy" to do. You can remove the bumperettes by unscrewing from inside of the bumper. You will have two square holes then through which you can see the aluminium bumper tray. What you have to get then (have made) is a plastic plate that fits exactly the whole licence plate area. This plate has to be painted in the cars original color. We have companies here in Germany which are specialized in reimporting cars or preparing the cars for German papers (title), they offer these plastic plates painted in the desired color. The problem is just the price they ask for it. Average is like 180.- Euros which would be like $ 235.-. I think there should be a possibility to find someone who can do it cheaper in the US.

2. Facelift 02-05

I have found no possibility to do the same with a facelift model. Changing the bumper would be no option in my opinion, as you can´t just put a German bumper on. The problem is you have to replace the whole aluminium bumper tray as well. I think if you sum up all the costs for the bumper, the tray and the paintjob, its not worth the different look. But this is only my opinion and every person has to decide himself what something is worth to him.

I am not sure, but I think the problem with replacing applies for both models. Mine has the bumperettes painted in the car´s color like mentioned in one post and I have to say I like the look. But maybe it is because my car is now in Germany and looks here a bit different than the others. I would say in general the painted bumperettes look smoother on a non black car.

Best regards

Bungee