Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Pressure after oil change

andymac

I used to have a Subaru Impreza and when you changed the oil you would disconnect the crank sensor. You could then crank the engine over, get the oil pressure back without the engine firing up. Once the oil light went out you could reconnect the sensor.

So, looking through the various articles about oil changes I haven't seen the Porsche version of this. When I last changed my oil on my 996tt, when I first started it I'm sure the engine had a different tone till the oil pressure was up. This was only for about 3 seconds.

Can you crank the engine over without firing up, ie take a fuse out ?

Do you need to do this on a 996TT ?

Nothing in the service or owners manual to that effect but I always warm the engine up first to lubricate the engine then begin the draining and wait about 20 minutes for the oil to drain all the way doen. Then I prime the oil filter full of oil before I screw it onto the car. I then start the car and rarely do I ever hear the sound of a "dry" engine. Just my 2 cents worth!

Then I prime the oil filter full of oil before I screw it onto the car.

No offense Golden, but how in the heck do you prime the oil filter in a 996tt?

The canister goes in basically upside down and there's a drain valve built into the housing to facilitate removal w/o spilling oil all over the place.

BD

RFM is correct. M96 in mind. However, on other cars that have a horiz mounted filter I partially fill the filter to wet the cartridge. This helps the filter to fill faster. I also crank the engine a few seconds to prime the pump before I start the motor. Sorry for the confusion on the TT.