Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Metal Polish and Headlights

Looking to thank the member who wrote an excellent response on sanding headlights to restore them. I read several posts this morning about restoring clouded headlights, and came upon a response from this person, who works with polycarbonate. Forgot to record his handle/post, but want to THANK HIM for his informed recommendation of using metal polish and hand polishing. I've tried several wonder products that don't work at all (except to make your pockets lighter), and can't understand why anyone would think that sanding is a good idea. I decided to give his strong recommendation a try, and let's keep it simple: IT WORKS. For lenses like mine that have seven years of environmental damage, the hand sanding is a pretty tough go, but the metal polish (Meg) he suggested cuts through everything, and leaves little to no scratches. So a big thank you from me, and I'd really suggest dumping all of the recommendations that either don't work or lead to the tales of woe that I've read here. Sanding is not the answer, period.

Glad this worked for you! Any product labeled "polish" is simply a liquid form of abrasive, just like sandpaper. The only difference is the amount of cut.

There are some jobs that still require a deeper cut and sandpaper is sometimes an ideal first step, but by no means the final step. For example, metal or other liquid polish won't eradicate a nasty rock chip in my headlamp but I can wetsand it out and then use a polish to restore clarity.

I find that for maintenance, PlastX works fine to keep my headlamps in nice shape (no affiliation, it's just easy for me to pick up locally). It also seems to have a hydrophobic component that acts like wax without the residue or fog.

Mark

Glad this worked for you! Any product labeled "polish" is simply a liquid form of abrasive, just like sandpaper. The only difference is the amount of cut.

There are some jobs that still require a deeper cut and sandpaper is sometimes an ideal first step, but by no means the final step. For example, metal or other liquid polish won't eradicate a nasty rock chip in my headlamp but I can wetsand it out and then use a polish to restore clarity.

I find that for maintenance, PlastX works fine to keep my headlamps in nice shape (no affiliation, it's just easy for me to pick up locally). It also seems to have a hydrophobic component that acts like wax without the residue or fog.

Mark

So, Mark, was it your reply on the long posting about the 3M sanding kit? Re-post: Mark, there was someone else writing about metal polish too; that's the member I'm looking for to thank (thanks to you as well). He works in plastics, and seemed dead-set against any sort of sanding, and because of the UV protection you mention, did not want anything but hand work. I'd really like to have him join and/or get in touch with me.

Edited by drateam