Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suspension Advice, Please

I think most would agree that the standard suspension on the Turbo gives a fairly harsh ride. Yes, I realise it's a sports car, but the roads around my area are dreadful, and it is getting annoying.  My car has done around 68,000 miles, so the shocks are probably tired by now, although there are no leaks or noises from them (as far as I can tell).

I really don't want to lower the car, as we have so many "sleeping policemen" (speed bumps) around here it's a joke. Also, I don't want the major expense of something like a PSS10 coilover kit - which would lower the car anyway. What I would really like is adjustable shock absorbers to replace the standard units. Unless anyone knows different, no one seems to make them.

So do you see my dilemma? I would like to try replacing the shocks, but with what? How about Bilstein B6 Sports? Anyone changed to those on their Turbo? I don't want to make it ride like a Rolls Royce - I just want to take the edge of the harshness, and make it a bit more 'compliant' over bumpy surfaces.

Any advice, opinion, or comments would be appreciated, especially if any one has been through this and got a result.

Richard,

I was over in the UK last week; what are they doing to the roads?

What are you hoping to achieve?

My KW V3 coilovers can be adjusted to std ride height, as soft or as hard as I want. You can also adjust bound and rebound independently.

The snow we had in January, combined with the years of neglect, really caused havoc on the roads.  There are potholes everywhere.  Most local authorities are in the process of patching them now, but that's what it is - patching.  Now we have raised bumps instead of hollow bumps!

I would like to achieve is to take the bang/crash out of the ride, without spending a huge amount.  A KW V3 or PSS10 kit over here is around £2600 (c $4400), plus fitting and a full alignment, and it seems a bit of an overkill for what I really want to do, which is to have a softer bump setting.  Doubtless it would be an improvement, but at that sort of price I'll live with it.  

Thanks Mike. I've had it up on a lift and checked underneath with a pry bar for movement in the bushings, and there isn't anything noticeable. It isn't the clonk or rattle of a bush or joint. Perhaps 'bang/crash' was the wrong wording to use. It isn't a mechanical noise like that - it's just the harshness, or lack of 'give'. It was the same with my (Euro) M030 996 C2.

On smooth roads it isn't an issue, so I think it's a case of 'they all do that'. I would just like to improve it. Maybe coilovers are the only answer, unless anyone has found a non-adjustable damper which gives the same result..........

Richard, When I recently installed a bunch of solid bushings, I found it was near impossible to get the bushings to flex with everything bolted in place. However, just unbolting one section would show serious "flex" in another... The engine mounts and Thrust bushing mounts were excellent examples of this very issue. Having it on the lift (Mine is on my lift atleast once per month, and sometimes once per week for more "upgrades" actually puts more force on the suspension components as the suspension sags and pulls on the mounts/ contact points.

Happy hunting!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I've had it up on a lift and checked underneath with a pry bar for movement in the bushings, and there isn't anything noticeable. It isn't the clonk or rattle of a bush or joint. Perhaps 'bang/crash' was the wrong wording to use. It isn't a mechanical noise like that - it's just the harshness, or lack of 'give'. It was the same with my (Euro) M030 996 C2.

On smooth roads it isn't an issue, so I think it's a case of 'they all do that'. I would just like to improve it. Maybe coilovers are the only answer, unless anyone has found a non-adjustable damper which gives the same result..........