Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Internal Differences Between Pse And Standard Muffler

I was surprised to be quoted a price of $5,500 (Australian dollars) for a Porsche Sports Exhaust kit for my 2005 Carrera S with chrono. Comparing my standard muffler with the Sports Exhaust Muffler, it looks externally identical except for an extra exhaust pipe that is welded to the top of the unit, and which is opened or closed by the electrically operated vacuum powered flap.

I can see that it would not be too difficult to weld the extra exhaust pipe to the standard muffler, and even add a non Porsche vacuum valve.

My question is, are there any differences internally between the 2 mufflers, and what are the differences? I assume that there are differences, because a common muffler hack of welding a pipe from a new outlet (as used in the PSE muffler), to the single exhaust, still does not produce the same sound as a fully open PSE. Reading various posts, others are adding an additional pipe between the muffler intake and exhaust pipe to get extra sound (I suspect that would be louder than the PSE depending on the diameter of the bypass pipe).

There is a post with a picture of a standard muffler cut open, but does anyone have a picture of a PSE muffler cut open?

Edited by allanb888

I've only ever seen the boxster/ cayman exhaust cut open , to compare with the PSE. Assuming its the same principle on the 997 as the 987 there is a bypass tube already in the silencer, all Eisenmann do is introduce a valve and remove the reducer at the other end of the existing tube so you get a fuller sound on bypass . There are a few companies such as carnewal that offer exhange mufflers which have the internals mofified to give a similar sound , though its not switchable. Since the mufflers are stainless steel , one option is to pick up a used set on e bay , this is what I did for my 987 , saving about 1000 Uk pounds in the process.

$5500 AUS is simply crazy to invest in a PSE. However, If that price includes the installation of the mufflers and more importantly the control switch and required wiring it may not be as crazy as it seems. The wiring job is an all day plus labor intensive task. You need to remove a lot of cabin interior parts to properly route the wires from the dash mounted switch to the vacuum control solenoid in the motor compartment. If they plan to mimic the factory install then they will wire to the DME which requires carefully work process. The muffler install is a 'piece of cake' (very easy and straightforward).

I installed my PSE (here in the US) after buying it off eBay for close to $1200 USD a few years back. It was close to brand new w/ all the parts (ie. vacuum lines, solenoids, wire harnesses, etc etc). It took me a couple of hours to do mufflers and a header change. The wiring part took a good 12-14 hours of my time. Routing the harnesses and connecting up to a proper voltage source require carefully work. Working in the rear passenger compartment after removing the seats, Bose woofer, carpet parts, door trim, etc etc is (in my case) tough work unless you're a very small person w/ small nimble hands and joints. I got the job done but it's not something I'd volunteer to do again.

The advantage of the PSE is that it offers you the ability to switch from 'quiet' to 'loud'. Of course if it's enabled via the DME then it controls vacuum solenoid based on motoring speed. I did a 'user' switch so I could turn it on/off. You can buy a 'better made' and 'performance' muffler system from a variety of aftermarket sources. They'll sound & perform equally as well (if not better) but of course aren't dynamic (switchable) like the PSE. It's a decision you'll need to make.

Like 'berty987' mentioned you can go the ebay or Porsche forum route and find one that's for sale. Carnewal sells a nice 'radio controlled' activation option that eliminates most of the PSE wiring chores. You just to connect the solenoid to a 12 volt source and connect the 'Receiver' to it. The Transmitter either sits on your key chain or in your console ready to make your P car sound 'aggressive'.

There are number threads on the Porsche forums that cover PSE stuff. Do some basic searching to educate yourself before you decide.

Good like . . . VROOOOOOOOOOM. drive1.gif

$5500 AUS is simply crazy to invest in a PSE. However, If that price includes the installation of the mufflers and more importantly the control switch and required wiring it may not be as crazy as it seems. The wiring job is an all day plus labor intensive task. You need to remove a lot of cabin interior parts to properly route the wires from the dash mounted switch to the vacuum control solenoid in the motor compartment. If they plan to mimic the factory install then they will wire to the DME which requires carefully work process. The muffler install is a 'piece of cake' (very easy and straightforward).

. drive1.gif

The price is without installation. Australia is a high tax and high import duty country, that makes even the cost of buying cars at least 50%

more than USA or Europe. I buy parts overseas on ebay, and then I have to add shipping and import duty.

I have thoroughly read all the posts. I am experienced in messing with cars, including labour intensive rewiring. I want a similar sound

to PSE which is switchable, but at a reduced price. I am interested to learn more about the aftermarket units available. But I can also see

that it wouldn't be too hard to weld the extra outflow pipe to a standard muffler, and source an exhaust valve. That is why I want to know

what the internal differences between the PSE and standard muffler are, too see if that is an easy modification too.

Ordered my PSE from the dealer. In Lebanon import taxes are similar to Australia we also have a 10% VAT tax on all products. Paid $5,000 all inclusive of parts, labor and taxes. It is pretty steep for a Porsche sports exhaust but I just really wanted a switchable exhaust sound and ordering through the dealer seemed like the easiest way to do it.

I had thought about ordering Mufflers from Borla or FVD and give up the switch-ability option but didn't want to go through the shipping hassle and the customs clearance (clearance is hectic here, kinda corrupt)... should install the PSE in a week, hopefully it'll be worth the $ and the wait... Will keep you updated....

The things we do for our Porsches... sighhhhhhh

Edited by Aliballan

Wow . . For 5 big ones (I think 'K Notes' are still big ones in spite of the way government racks up spending) I hope you really enjoy it.

Let us know if the dealer installs it like the factory (ie. connected to the DME) or with a independent switch so you can 'control' the 'music'. I believe if the car doesn't have 'Sport Chrono' they install a switch w/ a twin tailpipe icon in the center dash panel.

Vrooooooooom!

Ordered my PSE from the dealer. In Lebanon import taxes are similar to Australia we also have a 10% VAT tax on all products. Paid $5,000 all inclusive of parts, labor and taxes. It is pretty steep for a Porsche sports exhaust but I just really wanted a switchable exhaust sound and ordering through the dealer seemed like the easiest way to do it.

I had thought about ordering Mufflers from Borla or FVD and give up the switch-ability option but didn't want to go through the shipping hassle and the customs clearance (clearance is hectic here, kinda corrupt)... should install the PSE in a week, hopefully it'll be worth the $ and the wait... Will keep you updated....

The things we do for our Porsches... sighhhhhhh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...