Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spark plugs replacement on Boxster

Just got a Boxster recently and according to the maintenance manual, I need the spark plugs replaced.

I have been told to change them from the engine hood (soft-top in maintenance mode, removal of the hood,...) However, after having removed the engine hood, I can't imagine that any tool would reach the plugs! I am not mechanic and may be I am a bit clueless but I am wondering if it wouldn't be easier to change the plugs from under the car rather than from the engine hood.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for your help

What model year is your car.  And how many miles on it.

We remove the rear tires to replace the plugs since most of us do not have a lift.

It's a mid 1998 model, about 45000 Km (around 28000 Miles).

I have no problem going under the car as I have a friend who has got a lift.

However, I like the idea of removing the rear tires...

Thanks for your reply

Be sure to check the forum for the torque on the spark plugs. When I did mine (10 days ago) the DIY marked 22 lb/ft the Spark plug data (Bosch 2 tip) had a specification of 19 lb/ft. I did mine at 20-21. I understand this is a very delicate process of you over torque. Also the tools are available at snap on. I paid more for snap on but you can buy cheap at any place.

search for this topic:  good spark plugs, your opinion needed

I'm in the middle of this project now. I can't see any way you'd be able to change the plugs from the top side of the motor - they are most easily pulled out with both rear tires off the car.

You'll need to do the following:

Safely Jack Car, support on Jack Stands

Remove Rear Wheels

Remove Plastic Wheel Well Liner in forward location of each wheel

Remove Spark Plug Ignition Wire

Remove two hex hed screws holding each spark plug coil in place

Pull gently on rectangular spark plug coil to remove

You'll be left with spark plug still in car, about 6" inside the outer edge of the motore

Remove and replace each plug.

All plugs are relatively easily accessible, with the plugs closest to the front of the car being the hardest to get at.

Good time to change your oil too!

Here's some pics:

Drivers side of motor, showing middle spark plug galleyway with coil removed

3240.jpg

Drivers side of motor, rear most plug, with coil removed

3241.jpg

Spark plugs (the dark one was in the leaky middle cylinder

3242.jpg

Cheers!

Gundo

• 2 weeks later...