Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2001 996 Tip (Warr Expires 2/05) Checklist Help

So I got an early 2001 3.4 Liter Tiptronic Cab with PSM and PCM, Black. It's got 23,000 miles and was a Porsche lease vehicle. Got it off the high line show in Fort Lauderdale, FL VIN# WP0CA29941S652665.

Questions:

1) What are the proper checks that need to be done prior to warranty expiration?

2) I have been reading a lot about the RMS problem for the 996 and apparently, early 2001 is one of the problematic years. How does one check for this PRIOR to warranty expiration?

3) I am more than willing to research "class action" possibilities against Porsche as I work in a firm that specializes in substantiating such lawsuits, if in fact they are valid.

4) I need new tires so what so I need to get.

Sorry for the newbie questions but I am a new Porsche owner.

• Admin

1. See the Maintenance schedules at the top of the page.

2. No year is any better than any other year (IMHO). I've heard of very very few RMS problems on Tiptronic cars.

3. Someone has already tried that - check on Rennlist and PCGB.

4. Porsche has a list of both summer and winter tires - which list tdo you want?

Thanks Loren! I live in Northern California... San Francisco to be precise so we don't have winters other than trips to Tahoe so does that mean I have to use the summer tire list? I go to Lake Tahoe maybe 6 times a year and that's about the winter I get.

It's a relief to note that RMS problems are rare on Tips. Wonder why?

On the maintenance schedule, is there a "pre-emptive" more aggressive set of procedures like... "Make sure you check the RMS seals.' or something like that.

It will take me a while to move up from newbie-dom but I'll get there.

BTW, I tried to use search "RMS" but the query tool requires 4 or more chars. I guess I should have searched for Rear M-whatever Seals.

Thanks again!

1. See the Maintenance schedules at the top of the page.

2. No year is any better than any other year (IMHO). I've heard of very very few RMS problems on Tiptronic cars.

3. Someone has already tried that - check on Rennlist and PCGB.

4. Porsche has a list of both summer and winter tires - which list tdo you want?

• Admin

Don't be too obsessed with a potential RMS failure - a good number of folks never have them and quite a few others only have one and it is fixed. If you have one you will have an oil spot under the car right below where the engine and transmission meets. As I said I have seen very on Tiptronic cars - perhaps there is less stress on the crank and bearings - I don't think anyone knows why for sure.

The (Porsche aaproved) tires for summer are in TSB 6/04 4440 Summer Tire and Wheel Summary. As a Contributing Member you can view this online in the TSB section.

Been reading "Only The Paranoid Survive" by Andy Grove.

Cheers and thanks again for all your work!

Don't be too obsessed with a potential RMS failure - a good number of folks never have them and quite a few others only have one and it is fixed. If you have one you will have an oil spot under the car right below where the engine and transmission meets. As I said I have seen very on Tiptronic cars - perhaps there is less stress on the crank and bearings - I don't think anyone knows why for sure.

The (Porsche aaproved) tires for summer are in TSB 6/04 4440 Summer Tire and Wheel Summary. As a Contributing Member you can view this online in the TSB section.