Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement Top Issues

Hi I just bought my 1st Boxster 1999 about a month ago and I love it....except for one thing. The previous owner replaced the original convertable top with one that comes with a glass rear window, with defroster. Try as I might i cannot get the top out of the way to access the engine bay. The glass rear window hits the roll bars and the rear or the convertable top will not come far enough forward to have clear access. I have been able to reach through this small opening and take off the carpet and cover to do some work from the inside but it is very difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions to get the rear of the top further forward?

That's the problem with those tops and why I stuck with a plastic window when relacing the top on my '99 (plus the plastic window is bigger and doesn't have those orange lines), and it is why Porsche went to a four bow design when they introduced the glass window in 03. If you have a 2000+ MY you can get a four bow roof assembly with the glass window from a 2003-04, but apparently they are not compatible with MY97-99, something about the electronics. I know this doesn't solve your problem - only changing back to a plastic window top can do that - but at least you know why you're screwed.

Mark

That's the problem with those tops and why I stuck with a plastic window when relacing the top on my '99 (plus the plastic window is bigger and doesn't have those orange lines), and it is why Porsche went to a four bow design when they introduced the glass window in 03. If you have a 2000+ MY you can get a four bow roof assembly with the glass window from a 2003-04, but apparently they are not compatible with MY97-99, something about the electronics. I know this doesn't solve your problem - only changing back to a plastic window top can do that - but at least you know why you're screwed.

Mark

• 5 months later...

Hey Donny,

I know this topic was a few months ago and hopefully it's not like you are in your engine bay all the time to fix something.... But...

I have the GAHH glass rear window convertible top on my 1998 Boxster and I love it... I would never go back to plastic and doing

the Boxster Kung Fu Chop again everytime I wanted to put down the top (using hand to soften plastic window fold when lowering top)

I use to do extensive work on my car as well as all my own maintenace. All you need is a decent tie strap with the ratchet mechanism and

that has the hooks rubber coated.

Put your convertible top in normal engine bay access position, undo cables etc... put one hook of the tie strap along the front edge of the top and

then the other hook right where the cable ball joint snaps into the lower edge of the rear of the top. You will see a metal support brace where

the cable is attached to and there is a small metal lip that the hook of the tie strap can hold on to. It helps to have some tension already in the tie down.

so, just ratchet up the back and while it is pulling together to fold, reach inside the car and push the glass up and over the roll bars, or as far up

as it will go. and just ratchet up some more to a point that seems good but not putting any unnecessary stress on your convertible top seams / glass.

I keep that tie down ratchet in my trunk at all times . I have used it for years like that and I have NO issues with clearence and maintenance access

to the top of the engine. I got the idea because Porsche mechanics use a similar tool to work on the 2003 glass top boxsters.

I hope this helps you .

Bill

Edited by qikqbn