Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Extended Warrantties And Rms/ims

I always see post about Extended Warranties and of course, RMS/IMS.

This may help others......

My 04 C4S just had it's 3rd RMS/IMS reseal yesterday. First covered by Porsche during initial warranty and two times now with extended warranty. FYI, I bought the car from Porsche dealer as well as extended warranty when original ran out.

I also made it a habit to have dealership change oil/filter regularly. I felt it might help if in the future should the car develop a 2nd RMS leak, under extended warranty, to have Porsche dealer deal with the Ext Warranty company.

Original RMS at 26K miles and extended rms/ims warranty repairs at 41K miles and 46K miles about 2.5 years apart.

They stuck a clutch in for me which I was glad to pay for with no labor at the 41K mile repair.

Except for the clutch and a few bolts they didn't cover (which I asked to be replaced with new), warranties covered everything and no questions.

Not only where there no questions, I got the feeling from dealership that they didn't want to hear my questions such as "Are the seals/housing that you put in for this RMS/IMS repair different from the last part numbers" in hope that maybe something different then last components installed might fix the leak.

They simply referred me to the Dealership Bill which I cross referenced with the bill from 2 years earlier.

With the exception of some simple price fluctuations for the part numbers, they appear to be the same from Jan 2008 and June 1st 2010.

Here is what the Porsche dealer is replacing for RMS/IMS repair currently as of June 1st, 2010.

997-101-212-01 Shaft sealing RI

900-385-275-01 Hex head Screws

999-385-004-01 Torx Screws

900-123-106-30 Alum Seal Ring

900-123-147-30 Seal Ring 27X3

996-105-024-01 Shaft Housing

Since they are the same parts as last repair which also leaked, I expect I will see some drops on the garage floor here in the near future. My car club buddies claim my Porsches are getting "LEAKING LESSONS" in the garage at night from my old Ferrari in next stall 8-)

Based on repairs and cost of extended warranty, it worked out well for me in dollar savings to date especially with a window regulator replacement in between RMS's.

I guess RMS is a touchy spot with porsche dealerships, they didn't laugh or smile when I asked if I could get a free bag of oil spill absorbent with each RMS repair kit....

At least mine are always small seeps.:renntech: And thanks for this great site, I would have just assumed they were supposed to leak had I not read up some often through the years.

My 04 C4S just had it's 3rd RMS/IMS reseal yesterday. First covered by Porsche during initial warranty and two times now with extended warranty. FYI, I bought the car from Porsche dealer as well as extended warranty when original ran out.

I also made it a habit to have dealership change oil/filter regularly. I felt it might help if in the future should the car develop a 2nd RMS leak, under extended warranty, to have Porsche dealer deal with the Ext Warranty company.

Original RMS at 26K miles and extended rms/ims warranty repairs at 41K miles and 46K miles about 2.5 years apart.

They stuck a clutch in for me which I was glad to pay for with no labor at the 41K mile repair.

Except for the clutch and a few bolts they didn't cover (which I asked to be replaced with new), warranties covered everything and no questions.

Not only where there no questions, I got the feeling from dealership that they didn't want to hear my questions such as "Are the seals/housing that you put in for this RMS/IMS repair different from the last part numbers" in hope that maybe something different then last components installed might fix the leak.

They simply referred me to the Dealership Bill which I cross referenced with the bill from 2 years earlier.

With the exception of some simple price fluctuations for the part numbers, they appear to be the same from Jan 2008 and June 1st 2010.

Here is what the Porsche dealer is replacing for RMS/IMS repair currently as of June 1st, 2010.

Since they are the same parts as last repair which also leaked, I expect I will see some drops on the garage floor here in the near future. My car club buddies claim my Porsches are getting "LEAKING LESSONS" in the garage at night from my old Ferrari in next stall 8-)

Based on repairs and cost of extended warranty, it worked out well for me in dollar savings to date especially with a window regulator replacement in between RMS's.

I guess RMS is a touchy spot with porsche dealerships, they didn't laugh or smile when I asked if I could get a free bag of oil spill absorbent with each RMS repair kit....

At least mine are always small seeps.renntech1.gif And thanks for this great site, I would have just assumed they were supposed to leak had I not read up some often through the years.

I must say, based on your story you are handling this situation far better than I would in the same circumstances.................... Kind of scary to me that you needed a third seal/IMS seal after only 5K mi'les from previous one?? Do you track your car at all?? When I read your story, as a mechanical engineer I wonder if there is a more significant "run-out" of your crankshaft that causes these seal failures?? I guess I am just lucky as my 02 C4S is still on the original RMS and IMS seals with 39K miles.

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope this is the last "seal" incident you have ofr the life of your car. cheers.gif

demosan

At least mine are always small seeps.renntech1.gif And thanks for this great site, I would have just assumed they were supposed to leak had I not read up some often through the years.

I must say, based on your story you are handling this situation far better than I would in the same circumstances.................... Kind of scary to me that you needed a third seal/IMS seal after only 5K mi'les from previous one?? Do you track your car at all?? When I read your story, as a mechanical engineer I wonder if there is a more significant "run-out" of your crankshaft that causes these seal failures?? I guess I am just lucky as my 02 C4S is still on the original RMS and IMS seals with 39K miles.

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope this is the last "seal" incident you have ofr the life of your car. cheers.gif

demosan

Thanks for good wishes!

I don't have kids so I have always had a Plethora of exotic cars all with their own unique set of problems waiting to bite you 8-)

It's all part of car ownership at this level, porsches are actually not as bad cost wise as other marques in the 75-200K price range.

I don't expect the C4S not to leak since they put the same exact parts back in to stop it...come on!!!, they were just filling the extended warranty requirements and getting a little revenue in the dealership and I am aware of all of this....

When it bleeds its final precious porsche body fluids on my garage floor and dies, or I get a variety of other situations such as intermix with my Bose system 8-), that sounds like a good time to jerk the engine and rebuild a nice higher HP, NA engine or maybe another engine with low comp pistons and SC or turbo 8-)

I need a ride in between the lighter 40TH Ann C2 and the Stock 03 Turbo....:rolleyes:

Oh, I forgot to answer, I don't Track this car, C4S is too heavy for my taste for track car. I have a highly modified dedicated track only car for that fix, not Porsche related but it's a highly modified NSX down to ~ 2200lbs and ~ 520HP, all aluminum and CF. They all said :"You can't improve what the Honda F1 engineers designed for power and reliability". Recurring theme you hear with car clubs for Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo...what have you.... if you are determined and don't have to follow a corp. budget to get a product out the door at X dollar, it's amazing what you can do.

This is the first Porsche I have had to approach dropping out of a warranty (factory or extended). Since my warranties have stated no suspension/exhaust/sc/turbo modifications without voiding warranty, I haven't done much but drive them and basic maintenance.

I haven't done anything with P cars since the air cool days so the water cooled should be interesting.

Great site by the way....