Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all,

Issue with my new to me 04 Cayenne S

Tip, shifts fine no problem in automatic mode, works perfect in manual mode using the steerting wheel controls but if you want to use the shifter it will only downhift if you push hard, it will not upshift.

Scanned with duranatic and no codes. Some kind of bad microwitch?

Thanks!!

I had a similar problem on the right steering-wheel tip controller -- the entire piece of the center steering wheel was replaced -- which includes both tip switches. It was gummed-up from a spill from the prior owner, purely a mechanical issue. It was a thick gooey liquid that congealed. Like a chocolate syrup. It was a CPO repair -- luckily the dealer noted it as an issue to be fixed when they converted the vehicle to a CPO. We happened to purchase the vehicle before they had time to do all the work.

In hindsight, I should have asked for the old part -- they may not have offered because it contains an airbag which is basically an explosive and they might not have wanted the liability of giving it to me.

From what I recall no specif tip controller part # exists -- you need to replace the entire steering wheel center -- airbag and all. Let me know if you need that part number and I can look it up. If it's expensice it may not be worh the cost to repair -- if you don't use the wheel-mounted tip controllers a lot perhaps it won't bug you too much to leave it the way it is.

Sorry abut that -- misread your first post. Hmmm, not sure. Info on how to pull the plate around the shifter is here in Renntech. You could do that and see if evidence of a spill is there and stat ruling out issues.

I tend to use my stick for shifting more than the steering wheel controllers -- like on curvey mountain roads so I totally understand why you want to resolve this.

Edited by odix

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the reply Odix, but the problem is in the shifter, the Tip buttons on the wheel work fine. I suspect it's a similar issue. Perhaps something spilled into the console by the shifter.

Best,

Marc

Marc,

Did you ever get resolution on this? I have an '04 and it is doing exactly as you describe as well.

Cheers,

MF

The buttons are part of the airbag and are not sold separately so if your out of coverage, deal with it or try to find a used wheel complete on ebay of the same color with a working set. OEM part is around $700

• Upvote 1

The buttons are part of the airbag and are not sold separately so if your out of coverage, deal with it or try to find a used wheel complete on ebay of the same color with a working set. OEM part is around $700

Mudman, thanks for that.

It is in my center console shifter as the wheel thumb shifters work as advertised. Just curious if there were microswitches in the console for the manual stick function or if it was a programming issue?

mf