Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Well guys, murphy's law in full effect. My warranty expired in March and my reliable 997 now has what I fear could be a costly issue. I was wondering if someone may have experienced a similar issue with their 997 Cabriolet.

This morning while raising the top I noticed it was having a difficult time getting past the 12 o'clock position. I reached back and lent it a hand while I kept the top button pressed and was able to successfully close it. This evening I tried lowering the top and as it went back, it moved slower than normal and when it reached its fully stowed position ( the top not the actual cover) it would not complete the cycle and I was only able to get it to fully complete by pressing down on the folded top to trigger sensor that indicate it fully closed which allow the rest of the process to complete.

Has anyone had experience with a similar problem? Is the actual top actuated via a hydraulic pump or electric motors? Any ideas on proper way to troubleshoot?

Well guys, murphy's law in full effect. My warranty expired in March and my reliable 997 now has what I fear could be a costly issue. I was wondering if someone may have experienced a similar issue with their 997 Cabriolet.

This morning while raising the top I noticed it was having a difficult time getting past the 12 o'clock position. I reached back and lent it a hand while I kept the top button pressed and was able to successfully close it. This evening I tried lowering the top and as it went back, it moved slower than normal and when it reached its fully stowed position ( the top not the actual cover) it would not complete the cycle and I was only able to get it to fully complete by pressing down on the folded top to trigger sensor that indicate it fully closed which allow the rest of the process to complete.

Has anyone had experience with a similar problem? Is the actual top actuated via a hydraulic pump or electric motors? Any ideas on proper way to troubleshoot?

Rob545, try this link: Cabrio Top Hydraulic Fluid Step by Step.

Well I found the culprit, looks like passenger side actuator is leaking, found tell tale oil on the garage floor and along the plastic wheel well liner. I am debating whether to tackle this project myself or leave it to a pro. Mechanics of it all look fairly straightforward. I'll keep you posted. It does seem that the tops are fairly reliable on the 997's, apparently I got "lucky" Thanks for the link Rick.

Edited by rob545

Still tackling the project, need some advice from anyone who has had to remove rear panel before. Is there a particular trick to removing the seat belt upper anchor trim plate? I have pulled and pried with as much force as I deem reasonable and she won't budge. I need to get to the screw that secures the rear trim panel that is in behind the trim but am trying to avoid breaking any parts? Any suggestions?