Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water heater valve

Has anyone changed a water heater valve on a 2006 Boxster? it looks like mine is leaking coolant and needs to be replaced. I looks like there are 2 metal clamps holding it in, but I think large amounts of coolant will spill out so i assume the coolant must be flushed. Where is the bleeder valve located and coolant drain plug located?

• Moderators

I assume you meant the Tiptronic cooling water valve, if you squeeze the hoses closest to the valve with a clamp or a long nose vise grip, there will be only a small amount of coolant runs out. Replace the valve and top up the coolant level. No need to drain the complete cooling system.

I assume you meant the Tiptronic cooling water valve, if you squeeze the hoses closest to the valve with a clamp or a long nose vise grip, there will be only a small amount of coolant runs out. Replace the valve and top up the coolant level. No need to drain the complete cooling system.

Thanks RFM, just wanted to confirm if this is the tiptronic cooling valve you are talking about. My dealer said it is a water heater valve. Also wanted to confirm if it is the best way to just use long needle nose pliers to try and remove the four metal clamps. I will be hard because the coolanr lines are metal and do not flex. Is this a common proplem? the car on has around 10,000 miles on it.

post-12269-091150400 1280643917_thumb.jp

• Moderators

Only Tiptronic cars use a water valve to create a coolant circulation in the Tiptr. water/oil heat exchanger when needed. A leaking valve happens occasionally, but is not common. The clamps can be removed with appropriate pliers according to the actual possition of the clamps. Metal water pipes have always rubber hoses on both ends, if you loosen the metal pipes mounting bolts, you can move the pipes more than enough. Don't forget to squeeze the rubber hoses where it is easiest and as close as possible to the valve to reduce the amount of coolant loss.

Only Tiptronic cars use a water valve to create a coolant circulation in the Tiptr. water/oil heat exchanger when needed. A leaking valve happens occasionally, but is not common. The clamps can be removed with appropriate pliers according to the actual possition of the clamps. Metal water pipes have always rubber hoses on both ends, if you loosen the metal pipes mounting bolts, you can move the pipes more than enough. Don't forget to squeeze the rubber hoses where it is easiest and as close as possible to the valve to reduce the amount of coolant loss.

RMF, i was able to easily remove the valve and hose, for some strange reason when i installed the new hoses and cooling valve it does not seem to fit properly. There is a gap on both ends where the rubber hose and metal water line meet. If i force one side to fit properly the other side slips out of place on the metal water line. I dont think i bent any of the metal water lines, also do know if maybe your suppose to push down on the metal line to get a better fit. I also tried putting in the original hoses and valve and i still have the same problem with the hose and water pipe not flushed with one another. So me be a metal water line was slighty bent. Any help would be great or if anyone else on the board have a solution to this problem.

• 1 month later...