Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Feel surging in my car when driving-Any Advice?

My 996TT feels like it is surging sometimes when I drive it. What I mean is that it feels like it is picking up power not cutting out. I have never owned a all-wheel drive car prior to this and perhaps it is just the way it feels when engaging front wheels or shifting power to front - perhaps. I recently did some upgrades including new plugs, had coils inspected at this time and everything is working perfect and performing well. I just get this weird sensation when driving sometimes that i cant interpert as potential motor or ignition issues. I dont particularly like the all wheel drive. Car feels light in the front end to me as opposed to my older 74 911. Car has 19 inch rims on it, Pilot tires (which are hard and noisy) and Row suspension which is stiffer than stock of course. Maybe this is the way it is and I am being picky and need to adapt or maybe there is something that needs to be addressed.

If you have a free moment and have any insight to offer I would appreciate it.

apologize for spelling errors. I am a "wrench" not a english teacher :)

• 2 weeks later...

My 996TT feels like it is surging sometimes when I drive it. What I mean is that it feels like it is picking up power not cutting out. I have never owned a all-wheel drive car prior to this and perhaps it is just the way it feels when engaging front wheels or shifting power to front - perhaps. I recently did some upgrades including new plugs, had coils inspected at this time and everything is working perfect and performing well. I just get this weird sensation when driving sometimes that i cant interpert as potential motor or ignition issues. I dont particularly like the all wheel drive. Car feels light in the front end to me as opposed to my older 74 911. Car has 19 inch rims on it, Pilot tires (which are hard and noisy) and Row suspension which is stiffer than stock of course. Maybe this is the way it is and I am being picky and need to adapt or maybe there is something that needs to be addressed.

Well it is not likely the AWD...as the front barely gets any power until it needs it. So perhaps you are just not used to the power of a turbo? Of course you should always get the codes read JIC.

What does get codes and read JIC. my car is not flashing any codes. Is it possible that codes are being produced and I cant see them anywhere? If i use a Durametric would it show stored codes that are not being displayed on my car somewhere?

Let me know if you can and thank you for the info

What does get codes and read JIC. my car is not flashing any codes. Is it possible that codes are being produced and I cant see them anywhere? If i use a Durametric would it show stored codes that are not being displayed on my car somewhere?

Let me know if you can and thank you for the info

Yes, the diagnostics computer in your car will store the codes (which Durametric can read). Codes do not always trigger the idiot lights. JIC stands for Just In Case...FWIW.

• Upvote 1

FWIW= For what its worth. I am catching on. Thanks, i didnt know that about the codes. I see Durametrics for sale, are they universal to all cars or porsches? If I find the correct one are they easy to use?

thanks

The Durametric you would buy is specifically designed for Porsche. You need a laptop that runs windows (I have it on a Mac running parallels and it works fine). They send you the cable that simply plugs into the OBD port (under the dash to the left of the steering wheel (LHD)). There are a number of functions, but the manual is quite understandable and support is also good so I've heard. It will read, clear codes and do data logging. Best set-up for Porsche other than an actual Porsche tool (PST2, PIWIS).

thank you, can i ask if you the cable is universal? I ask because i flashed the ECU and they sent me a cable from softronics that fits that port but not sure if it can be used again. Why would you want to store codes? For reference purposes? I have seen topics for code issues on renntech, does the durametric come with information to reference codes?

Thanks again. Steve

thank you, can i ask if you the cable is universal? I ask because i flashed the ECU and they sent me a cable from softronics that fits that port but not sure if it can be used again. Why would you want to store codes? For reference purposes? I have seen topics for code issues on renntech, does the durametric come with information to reference codes?

Thanks again. Steve

No the cable is the main component of the durametric "system"...it only works with their cable (the software can be downloaded for free essentially). Storing the codes is not a preference setting....the OBC will store codes as the arise...some will clear themselves after so many cycles if the error does not occur again, some can be cleared with battery disconnect, still others must be cleared by a code reader and then some by durametric (air bag for example) and then there are some that can be only cleared with Porsche diagnostic tools and others that not be cleared by any device (over revs for example). Some of the codes will be able to be understood by reading the Durametric manual, others can be deciphered here on RennTech. In any case if you post the codes here there will be plenty of us to help you understand them.

so the car stores simplistic things like "over rev"? Is this so you can review before purchase and get an idea of how it was driven or associate driving style to warranty claims when applicable? could car be storing a code that reflects a issue yet i dont acknowledge it or feel it in performance or driving?

can you give me some more detail please.