Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Price of a 3 spoke steering wheel in the USA

I am due to visit Texas (Dallas Ft Worth area) in mid-January from the UK on a short business trip and given the slide of the dollar against the pound wondered if I could use the opportunity to buy a three spoke steering wheel to fit my 2000 C4 as a direct replacement for the four spoke.

The exchange rate today puts the wheel if bought in the UK at whopping $961 bucks. Can anyone tell me what the price would be in the US today? I presumme the wheel is identical to the UK spec but if anyone knows diferent I would like to know. also I don't know the status of the airbag in terms of hazardous cargo so that would need to be researched also, again if anyone knows, be glad of the info

Thanks in anticipation.

Ron

I'll be going over to Sunset Porsche Tomorrow to pick up a few parts. I'll check that for you...

By any chance would you happen to have a porsche part number? If not...I'll just go with the description.

I'll check if it is compatible with right hand drive vehicles as well. I don't suspect there will be any tropuble in that area, but I would defer that to Loren or Toolpants...

Jim

I'll be going over to Sunset Porsche Tomorrow to pick up a few parts. I'll check that for you...

By any chance would you happen to have a porsche part number? If not...I'll just go with the description.

I'll check if it is compatible with right hand drive vehicles as well. I don't suspect there will be any tropuble in that area, but I would defer that to Loren or Toolpants...

Jim

Jim, that's very kind of you, I appreciate the effort.

As to the part number, sorry I don't know it.

The idea that I could make a huge saving came to me 5 minutes before I posted the plea for help as I had just checked the currency rates so not a lot of research to date I am afraid.

Just to confirm I want to make the straight swop of a 4 spoke standard S/wheel to the 3 spoke which came as standard probably shortly after my car was built.

I don't know about anyone else but the 3 spoke seams to suite the 996 better than the older 4 spoke.

Thanks

Ron

I don't remember the price here in the US but it was much more expensive than the carnewal.com prices 1 1/2 years ago.  Carnewal has it at 770 euro for all leather wheel and airbag.

Thanks AC,

Checked out the Carnewal site and they have the whell at 870 Euros (£600) which is about the same price as the UK.

What we Brits tend to find when we visit the USA is that the price comparison normaly works out at like for like e.g if something cost $500 in the US the same item will probably cost around £500 here Which makes our goods more expesive normally depending on the exchange rate. However, with the dollar sliding against our currency to something close to $2 to the £ we can make a killing if the items price comparison is as I describe.

Ron

• Moderators

According to the parts list the steering wheel is the same for a LHD and RHD. You can put a Boxster or 996 3 spoke on a 996 4 spoke. If you just walk into a dealer I doubt they will have a wheel and air bag in stock since it is not a common replacement part.

You might contact Sunset Imports in Oregon since they usually have the best prices. You could order the wheel and air bag and have it sent to your hotel. I think there is some kind of restriction on shipping because the air bag is an explosive device.

According to the parts list the steering wheel is the same for a LHD and RHD.  You can put a Boxster or 996 3 spoke on a 996 4 spoke.  If you just walk into a dealer I doubt they will have a wheel and air bag in stock since it is not a common replacement part. 

You might contact Sunset Imports in Oregon since they usually have the best prices.  You could order the wheel and air bag and have it sent to your hotel.  I think there is some kind of restriction on shipping because the air bag is an explosive device.

Thanks toolpants, I have a feeling you are right about the airbag and I very much doubt if I could get it on the plane. I think I might be flogging a dead horse here!

Hi Ron…

My source for this information in Jeff Clark, Parts Manager from Sunset Porsche. Sunset Porsche is located in Beaverton, Oregon which is about 5 miles from where I live in Portland.

Sunset Imports

4030 S.W. 139th. Way

Beaverton, OR 97005

503-641-8600

www.sunsetimports.com

All prices quoted are lowest advertised as in Excellence and include PCA discount. Oregon is a sales tax free state. No taxes will apply if you purchase thru Sunset. (Other states such as California have taxes in the 7-8% range).

Assumptions:

Your car is NOT a Tip

Your interior color is black

Your steering wheel is black

Air Bag Issues:

The three spoke wheel requires its own 3 spoke air bag. 4 spoke air bag cannot be swapped.

In the US because of the detonation device and chemicals used in air bags, air bags are considered dangerous and require special packaging from a certified hazardous materials packager/shipper. To ship the wheel and air bag there is a $50.00 up charge for the hazardous material certification. This would be in addition to standard shipping charges which are unknown at this time for shipment to England.

You may wish to check with your airlines to see if you would be able to send the wheel as freight on your return flight.

Compatibility Issues:

Jeff at Sunset used ROW Inventory Film for price quote rather than US Film. From what he could see there were no differences in wheel configuration from left to right hand side P/cars. Jeff said he has sold many 3 spokes and to “the best of his knowledge” mounting hardware removed from your 4 spoke will work “just fine” with the 3 spoke installation. You will need to verify this with your sources to make certain. I am sure Loren or Toolpants or others could be helpful to you here,

Quoted Prices and Configurations:

Prices quoted for 3 spoke wheel as straight swap for 4 spoke wheel as standard equipment in your 2000 C4.

You may purchase the 3 spoke wheel in one of these configurations.

Configuration 1

Black Leather Wheel and Vinyl Air Bag Cover Combo w/ Embossed Crest on Air Bag

Porsche Part: 0000 044 400 188YR: $756.22.

Configuration 2

Black Leather Wheel and Leather Air Bag Cover Combo w/ Embossed Crest on Air Bag

Porsche Part: 996 347 982 00 8YR: $936.35.

Configuration 3

Air bag alone in leather either with embossed black and silver crest or a color crest

Porsche Part: Black and Silver: 996 803 980 03828: $468.00

Porsche Part: Color: 996 803 980 01 A28: $468.00

Black Leather Wheel Alone

Porsche Part: system did not read with a part number or price

Estimated price: $900.00 (I asked about the obvious lack of logic with the stand alone price and Jeff said he couldn’t explain it but he does sell many stand alone units).

Availability:

Not available in Portland stock. Parts would come directly from Germany and because of the Holidays please allow at least 6 weeks delivery.

Hope this is helpful to you. Let me know if you need any more info…

Thx…

Jim

Ps.. please say hello to the Queen for me and tell Prince Charles that I really enjoyed the public display of his underwear several years ago when I was in Australia.

Hi Jim,

This is far more than anyone could expect, thank you. I really do value your efforts. If I ever find myself in Oregon I will look you up and buy you a beer or nine!!

It is becoming clear to me that in an effort to save myself money I am creating other problems that when sorted will in fact probably cost me any savings I made!!

I may just switch my attention to buying other spares instead, smaller spares like a MAF for instance. One poor guy on the UK Porsche Club forum wrote that his OPC (Official Porsche Centre, Dealer in other words) charged nearly $900 to replace his MAF - That's $250 to undo the torx screws and another $250 to tighten them back up again once the new MAF has been connected (thats assuming the MAF cost $400)

As another indicator of the price disparity between the US and the UK. A brand new 997 on a Texas Dealers web site was priced at exactly the same amount I paid for my C4 6 speed Coupe 996 (MY2000) a year ago. (makes my Bank account weep)

Anyway enough ranting and thanks again.

I will pass on your regards to Chas next time I am at Buck house for a Beer and a game of pool. I know exactly what you mean about his underwear. Every time he bends down to take his shot the Walmart erection correction pants pop out of his 501's waistband (not a pretty sight) How can a guy concentrate on his own shot after that?????

Thanks again

Ron

You're welcome. Glad to help...BTW, a MAF is about $135.00 you need a $5.00 Security Torx driver and 10 minutes of your time to change one...then disconnect the battery for about an hour to erase the codes and reset the CEL.

I'll take you up on that beer when you visit the Pacific Northwest. You'll find the climate just like home!

best...

Jim