Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CEL on a 99 with 34K

Hello All,

I have a 99 and a CEL came on while at a stop light. I purchased the car about 2 months ago. No existing problems that I'm aware of. I put gas in the same day the light came on and I have checked the gas cap I know there was a recall for gas caps on the 99. Mine has not been replaced. I checked the error code and P1123 came up. I pulled the engine cover and what a dirty surprise. At first I thought it might be the MAF so I pulled and cleaned it with electronics parts cleaner. CEL came back up after a couple of days. I also notice that the oil filler tube is oily and dirty pretty much the only area of the engine that has oil on it. Could this be a source of an air leak. After reading pretty much every post regarding error code P1123 and CEL related issues, I think that it might be the oil fill tube........what do you guys think!!!

Aaron

Tool Pants,

I pulled the oil filler tube and throughly inspected it and I found no problems with it other that the fact that it was oily as heck where it connects at the rear fire wall. I did not take the tub that connects to the crank case off as it seemed pretty hard to get to and there didn't seem to be an oil in and around that area. Before I started work I checked the codes again and I'm getting the same one P1123 but now I'm getting P1125. I've never gotten the P1125 before. What could possibly be the cause of the new error. I have sense cleaned all the parts and reinstalled them and cleaned the engine and transmission everything looks great but this morning on my way to work the CEL came back on. Tonight I'll try and run the codes to see what I get. what do think.....MAF.......... O2 sensor.

• Moderators

By the way, how did your car escape the recall for the gas cap. If it is a leaker then I do not know what code(s) you see.

The oil filler tube bulletin says the range of fault codes on a 2.5 with the 5.2 DME is P1123 to P1130. Loren has the codes listed here. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...code=disclaimer

P1123 is for cylinders 1-3 and P1125 is for 4-6. Your oxygen sensors do not see that they want to see at idle. But your oxygen sensors may be fine.

Figuring out the cause of fault codes is very frustrating for a DIYer, which I am. We can look up the code in the OBDII book. Replace the part and the light is back on. I have asked Peter so many times over the years about fault codes that I do not think he wants to hear another question. Without a PST2 it is a less than a DIYer educated guess to assume you have bad part A or bad part B just by the code, as it may be part C that triggers a fault code(s) for A or B.

I am not much of a help. If your oil filler tube is producting a mist on the fire wall then something not right is going on with the tube, or how else would the oil get there.

Hello Tool Pants,

Well the CEL went off yesterday all on it's own. What I did over the weekend was throughly cleaned the MAF and took the car to the dealer in on the gas cap recall. I'm pretty sure the problem was the gas cap. No light so far!!!!! thanks for everything.....Aaron