Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mysterious Power Steering Fluid Loss

I recently noticed a mechanical noise coming from the rear of the 2002 Boxster S when I would make turn. However, initially, it would only do it a few turns out of the garage.

I then got in one day could feel it in the steering wheel and the sound didn't stop so I parked it. I suspected it was the power steering. I checked the power steering fluid and it was low. (Key point: There was no power steering fluid on the garage floor and none in the engine compartment area.) I topped it off and there is no more noise. :drive:

Question - Where did the power steering fluid go? What am I missing? Zippo

How much power steering fluid did you add.

It is normal hear hear a noise in a garage while turning the wheel.  I even think it is in the owners manual. 

Unless you have a Lexis.

Tool Pants - Thanks for the reply.

I think it was about 1/2 pint. The noise was definitely unusual and mechanical. It stopped with the addition of fluid.

However, it is odd that there is no spillage in the engine area or garage floor.

Someone mentioned that it could be a leak into a power steering boot and, if that is so, then I need a more permanent fix. What do you think. Zippo

• Moderators

Since you most likely have a warranty take it to your dealer and have them check it out.

I have a leak from the seals in my power steering rack with my January 1997. Easy to tell. There is nothing on the ground. The fluid fills up the boot. Remove the small clamp and it runs out of the boot.

post-4-1102483352_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The mineral oil that is used for the PS pump can evaporate over time as well as leak. My C2 cab would make groaning noises from the steering when it was cold. turned out I was about 20cc low on PS fluid. also make sure that you only use the specified PS fluid. It is the same stuff that is used for VW, and audi.