Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 Tiptronic mods

I, too, would love to modify the programming of my 2004 996 Cab Tip to behave as it does during the warm up sequence, where it starts in first gear and holds lower gears to higher rpm instead of shifting at 1500. Clearly it is doable. Further, the 997 tips have a sport mode, which accomplishes this. I have asked two dealers and they responded that there is nothing that can be done. I don't believe it, as there are many reprogramming processes available for Audis and VWs, which probably use the same software

Randy, 2004 Cab Tiptronic

Maybe the dealers meant they can't reprogram the ECM without voiding the warranty. Of course it can be done. I doubt it is worth voiding the powertrain warranty to have it done in the aftermarket. Let's complain to the Porsche brass!

I have asked two dealers and they responded that there is nothing that can be done.  I don't believe it, as there are many reprogramming processes available for Audis and VWs, which probably use the same software

Randy, 2004 Cab Tiptronic

post-3819-1102608223_thumb.jpg

Am I missing something here.  I just push the button to "1" before I start off.  I'm assuming you don't ALWAYS want to start off in 1st gear.

Sometimes I shift "manually", sometimes I don't. When the car is in full automatic mode it feels sluggish off the line, especially in the summer months here in Tx. If it always started off in 1st, it would feel much quicker.

Jim, I am thinking of a 996C4S as a swap for my current 99 C2 Cab Tip...any thoughts?  The C4S just looks great especially in Polar Silver - reminds me of my old 993!!

The c4s has the sport suspension and is very enjoyable to drive on sporty roads. You might miss the cab, maybe you could find or order a c4s cab. I agree that the body looks great! I haven't seen the 997 in person yet, but the pictures look like a similar shape to the 4s and 996 turbo.

Definately test drive a 4s!