Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aligning gears when shifting

Skip

Have recently completed adjustments on clutch cable as well as on the foot pedal. Gears had improved, but suddenly yesterday, I had a great deal of difficulty in lining up 1st and 2nd gear. It was as though they weren't there. No problem finding 3rd / 4th and 5th and Reverse. Initially I thought that the shift coupling between the rear seats had slipped, but it was still tight. I followed the instructions on how to Improve Shifting off the Pelican Site (same as in my Bentley Manual), by loosening the clamp, rotating the coupler counter-clockwise looking to the rear of the car, and the shifter left in line with 1st & 2nd gear, so it is "pre-loaded?" I then tightened the clamp once again, but then 5th and Reverse wouldn't engage. After several attempts I've found a balance, but reverse and 5th remain difficult if I don't go through several other gears first. Could this be the bushings that are worn out also causing this, or perhaps I'm not adjusting it properly? Any ideas would be appreciated. Have also order a short-shifter and new bushing set just in case from Pelican.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add some details for others who may have a similar problem, as I believe I've resolved this issue. I ordered a Weltmeister Short Shift Kit as well as replacement bushings for both the base of the shift rod (ball socket 911- 424-139-00) as well as the bushing for the linkage shaft (friction ring 911-424-224-00). Although the ball socket wasn't too bad, the friction ring was in four different pieces laying below the linkage. The challenge I had was trying to remove the conical set screw (901-424-229-00) from the base of shift rod head. This is a small allen socket and I just couldn't get the angle without starting to strip the screw head. I had a new screw but decided not to try my luck. Instead I made a small incision across the width of the friction ring (thick rubber) in order to allow it to wrap around the gear shift rod. I then carefully pressed it into the bearing bracket (930-424-031-00). After lubricating all moving parts I reassembled. I bought allen (pan-head screws) at a local fastner store to replace the regular bolts that came with the short shift kit. Figures it made sense to put in similar parts (although slightly longer ones were required (from length 20 to 35 mm in order to allow extra plate which came with the short shift kit to be bolted down).

All in all a great fix and now the gears are solid with no slippage. Alignment was easy after this using the standard methodolgoies descibes in many other posts. The shorter throw takes some getting used to however.

Thanks to all for your recommendations.