Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

stone age?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, im sure this has been asked before, but what options are there for a radio with bluetooth and ipod hook ups?

I have a 2007 with the bose speakers, and the single cd head unit.

Any ideas?

Thanks all!!!

Im getting the NavTV Tookipor bluetooth hands free module and the ipod module fitted to my PCM next week. Will let you know what i think.

Graham

Ok, im sure this has been asked before, but what options are there for a radio with bluetooth and ipod hook ups?

I have a 2007 with the bose speakers, and the single cd head unit.

Any ideas?

Thanks all!!!

Im getting the NavTV Tookipor bluetooth hands free module and the ipod module fitted to my PCM next week. Will let you know what i think.

Graham

Dension, NavTV, and mobridge all offer interfaces for your car that will connect i pod or MP3 devices.

Ok So the other day i got a mObridge bluetooth kit fitted (with the optional iPod hookup)

The install took the engineer around 90minutes and my Porsche didnt need 'unlocking' afterwards to enable it to work.

The bluetooth phone bit:

Pairs with my Blackberry Bold9700 without any issues and synced the first 150 phone numbers automatically. The Porsche PCM can only handle 150 entries so on my BBerry i changed the sync profile to my most used numbers (aka "Hotlist") and now all my important numbers are synced everytime i connect via bluetooth.

The sound only comes out of one speaker which i really dont like, because if your passenger blocks that speaker you can have a hard time hearing your conversation.

But the sound quality is good even at high speeds conversations are easy and clear, I asked my girlfriend how it sounded when i was at 80mph on a motorway and she said it sounded like i had my phone to my ear normally. So im happy about this.

The ability to use the PCM dialling buttons is brill, although be careful cos that "SOS" button is now active so dont go jabbing it! :)

The iPod bit:

The cable is in the glove box so i can keep my ipod out of sight.

Navigating the iPod playlists and folders via the PCM2 is a bit fiddly. You need to realise that the mObridge manual is not 100% perfect and ensure you have an hour to have a play and figure things out yourself after the install.

Double button pushes and 'press+hold' buttons are the order of the day here! Once you have this figured out then it a cinch!

One important thing though, The PCM see's the iPod as a external HD so you cant actually use your iPod whilst it is plugged in. Just like you cant while it is plugged into your computer for iTunes syncing.

It sounds good though and the install is good. Apart from the inability of this system to use the internal Porsche mics on the steering column which means a unsightly external mic somewhere on the dash or up near the rear view mirror.

I paid £650 for installation, the equipment and all taxes and shipping which is a bit high but at least it stops me from getting any fines for talking on the phone whilst driving.

I would have like the navigation via the PCM to be a little more sleek, a little easier but it is a little bit like mObridge have had to work 'around' the Porsche software and not implement their own programming. This shows. It could be much easier with the right operating system but i guess that Porsche didnt plan on someone else programming their PCM did they?

Would i recommend it? ... Yes!

Would i say its worth £650? ... No, perhaps £400 would be more reasonable.

How could it be better? .... Firmware upgrade to make the PCM more user friendly when using iPod navigation.... Put the Bluetooth phone audio down BOTH speakers in mono... Porsche could make it so their PCM handle 10 times more phonebook entries than the 150 as standard.

Any questions Please ask, I hope this helps!

Cheers

Graham

• 2 months later...

I wanted large-screen nav, bluetooth and ipod connectivity, plus HD-radio for my Boxster with the factory CDR-24 + Bose, which, by the way, had FM reception similar to Japanese cars of the 1970's. I went to Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue, WA (www.benchmarkmotoring.com) for an Alpine that does everything I want and looks totally factory while outperforming the stock Porsche unit by a wide margin. Their installation is totally reversible without anything on the car being destroyed, drilled, or otherwise permanently modified. Cost was significant but still substantially lower than upgrading to a comparable factory unit.