Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So I had my drive shaft replaced about 60K miles ago and new tires about 12K miles ago, but I just started noticing a subtle vibration in the floor around 10mph. Its really aggravating and I want to catch it before it becomes worse. I know I need my lower control arm bushings replaced.

Is this just a vibration that Im stuck with, as Ive seen n a few posts, or is this thing on its way out again??

Thanks Again!

to soon for the shaft I think the replacements for the original seem to last longer Any noise associated with the vibration ? Feel it thru the steering wheel ? Rear wheel or tire issue, kerbed it at all ?

Edited by mudman2

Haven't curbed it. I definitely feel it in the steering wheel but mostly the pedals and floor of the drivers seat. The rear tires are pretty worn. Its almost like a subtle grinding with no noise. Once I get above 20mph it gets buried by the normal vibrations of the car.

I must not be understanding something here. The subject of this thread relates to the Carden Shaft, there is only 1 on the cayenne it drives the rear wheels. If its gone there can be no drive.

If your talking about another drive shaft please be more specific

Why is Porsche the one car maker to call a drive shaft a cardan shaft, wtf? isnt there enough words already to describe different parts in the car? Anyway, i will substitute cardan shaft for drive shaft, becasue that what it is essentially. Running down from powerplant ( engine) we have a transmission, and bolt the to transmission is the center differential. From that center differential you have 2 drive shafts transmitting the power to both fron and rear axles. My question is: if the front driveshaft from center differential to the front differential , is to be removed, broken , disconnected by any means, would the car still be able to go via just rear wheels? Please explain the answer if somebody knows it exactly. All i could find out is that central differential is a planetary differential with 33/67 split, meaning front wheels get 33% of the power and rear gets 67%.

Pretty sure the transmission control unit would kill that plan of action since the shaft would be turning out of control

Why is Porsche the one car maker to call a drive shaft a cardan shaft, wtf? isnt there enough words already to describe different parts in the car? Anyway, i will substitute cardan shaft for drive shaft, becasue that what it is essentially. Running down from powerplant ( engine) we have a transmission, and bolt the to transmission is the center differential. From that center differential you have 2 drive shafts transmitting the power to both fron and rear axles. My question is: if the front driveshaft from center differential to the front differential , is to be removed, broken , disconnected by any means, would the car still be able to go via just rear wheels? Please explain the answer if somebody knows it exactly. All i could find out is that central differential is a planetary differential with 33/67 split, meaning front wheels get 33% of the power and rear gets 67%.

post-214-089718700 1288124709_thumb.jpg

love the diagram :) ...anymore inputs? any drivetrain professionals? ...basically my plan is to make my cayenne a RWD car...so before i start looking for a spare center diff., to open it up and start welding, i was thinking if i could simply remove the front cardan with front axles. I hate the feeling of heavyness , i hate the mis-coordination of front vs. rear wheels when switching gears fast. Its my first SUV, and it really first awkward :( Its a vr6 3.2 with manual tranny, thats what i wanted, but i never knew that extra 1500lbs+ ( vs.r32 or even b5 passat wagon vr6) would make it behave sooo heavily :(

You really are underestimating the computing power in the car, disable it and it will not run, do what your planning and it will not run. Good Luck

You should have gotten an S

Edited by mudman2

lol, what computing power? its all mechanical! its a VR6 model with literally no electronics. Theres nothing electronic in the drivetrain except for center differential. Which I would take apart , weld , to make it transfer 100% power to the rear wheels, and voila :). i understand people with SUV, 4 wheel this and that. I never had a 4 wheel drive car, most were RWD, and i loved them in the snow, rain, etc....

Fascinating, so there is no transmission control unit, no electronic valves controlled by the DME / Transmission control system, no PSM or Anti Lock Brakes etc on the V6. Is the transmission not made by Asian either on the V6 ?

Wow you live and learn

:notworthy:

post-214-0-33957300-1288186972_thumb.jpg

Edited by mudman2

I don't know of anyone wanting to do what you have planned. It looks as though you'll be breaking new ground and have to let others in on the details and pit falls. Best of luck but i don't think you fully understand how the traction control system operates on the Cayenne.