Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can I install a sub and amp to my factory cdr-210?

It can certianly be done. You have to take the outputs from the head unit to the amp. I have not worked with a CDR210, only the CDR220 with the HiFi option. But all head units have outputs. I am sure that Becker make an adapter so you can feed the amp.

You need a set of these to remove the radio.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...omotiveQ5fTools

Then the low output harness from Becker shown here

http://www.beckeraut...ex_porsche.html

With this harness you have two set of RCA Jack (front and rear) and can use the OEM head unit balance and fader. Depending on what amp you use you should be able to sort out the low frequency for the subs. I use a JL Audio 6450 which is fed by these RCA Jacks and has 6 channels, Front (2) Rear (2) and a blended low frequency (2) for the subs.You have to run two sets of RCA cables from the head unit to the amp location, get one set with an Antennae lead to control switching the power to the amp.

You will then have to spice into the leads to the speakers, not sure how this works with the CDR210, do you have an OEM amp?

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dharn55

You need a set of these to remove the radio.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...omotiveQ5fTools

Then the low output harness from Becker shown here

http://www.beckeraut...ex_porsche.html

With this harness you have two set of RCA Jack (front and rear) and can use the OEM head unit balance and fader. Depending on what amp you use you should be able to sort out the low frequency for the subs. I use a JL Audio 6450 which is fed by these RCA Jacks and has 6 channels, Front (2) Rear (2) and a blended low frequency (2) for the subs.You have to run two sets of RCA cables from the head unit to the amp location, get one set with an Antennae lead to control switching the power to the amp.

You will then have to spice into the leads to the speakers, not sure how this works with the CDR210, do you have an OEM amp?

Hope this helps.

So I do need that harness in order for me to install the amp? The stock radio doesn't have a RCA input jack? Like the aftermarket decks

from your question, it seems that what you are looking for is a sub "and amp" not a whole system upgrade, so.... if you do have a factory amp, and you are pleased with the sound overall you could just use a subwoofer amp with "speaker level" inputs (most have them). then, everything stays as it is but you can improve your low end... It's not the perfect solution from an audiofile's perspective but's it's worh considering. if you do have the factory amp, and you bypass it, then you'll need an amp to power the mid/high frequency drivers as well witch gets more complicated and expensive - does that make sense? if you do add the sub in this way, tap into the front speaker leads as the fronts/sub would become your "main" and the rears can be adjusted with the fader as a fill. if you want to take it one step further, put in some in-line crossovers to the fronts (sometimes called "bass blockers") - as you will now have a subwoofer, this will keep the power hungry low frequencies from reaching the fronts and they will paly louder, and with less audible distortion.

also, if you have speakers in your doors as well as the dash you likely have an amp...

good luck,

jonathan

J-Status

I think I just figured out who you are on 6Speed. So this is Grandpa speaking. Did you ever put your cats and mufflers back on. Opps!! Nuff said on that subject.

As for the amps and RCA Jacks, I think you will need the adapter. The OEM amps do not use RCA jacks while almost all aftermarket amps do. The harness costs less than $10 as I remember. And you can get a good set(s) of RCA cables for less than $20 @. There are some grommets on the drivers side of the firewall that you can run the cables through. There are several cable already there, just slit the rubber and the RCA's will fit through. You should seal them up with some silicone to prevent air and water going through. There is also a grommet through the firewall to the trunk on the other side. I can look up the color codes for the speaker wires, when you take the harness off the OEM amp you will have to splice into the speaker wires near the connector. Then it depends on which speakers you are using, you might have to run some additional wires to the speakers. There are only two wires running to each speaker location, the OEM speakers use a resistor to separate the low frequency signals. If you are going to run component speakers with crossovers you will need more wiring. What speakers are you planning to use. You should know that the OEM speakers are the weakest piece of the stock system. A new amp or head unit with the OEM speakers won't help much at all. I have always recommended doing speakers first, then the amp, then the head unit.

• 1 month later...

Another q's for you Dharn55.

I want to keep my CDR210 radio and factory amp

I just want to install my aftermarket amp to power up my aftermarket sub. I don't want to touch the factory speaker wires.

So I would still need the harness that plugs in the back of CDR-210 with RCA jacks.

What if I also want to run ipod?

Will I need 4 RCA instead of 2?

2 RCA for the aftermarket amp

2 RCA for the ipod

How will that work?

That is a tough one my friend. I am more familiar with the CDR220, but I think it is fairly close to the 210. One challenge is that the output from the head unit is really two channels, which go through the connector/harness on the back of the unit through a wire harness to the OEM amp. It is in the amp that the low frequency signals are split off to the sub-woofers. So I don't know how you would get this signal for a separate amp for your sub. I am sure that there is a way as I have seen many owner's that have used two separate amps, one for the front and rear channels and one for the subs. I am just not sure how they do it.

On my car I used the harness from Becker to have a set of RCA jacks for the front left and right, and another set for the rear left and right. By the way one of the sets had an extra wire, which i used to feed the signal from the head unit for controlling a "power antennae" to turn the power for the amp on and off. I think you also asked about this on another forum. On my JL Audio 6430 one set of RCA cables go to channels 1 & 2, and one set go to channels 3 &4. The amp itself splits off the lows and blends the signals (left and right) for channels 5 &6 for the subs.

As for the Ipod, there have been lots of threads on this, and there are a few alternatives as far as the cables go. However they all use the aux input that is for the CD changer in the trunk for the input of the Ipod signal. So you have a choice of either a CD changer or an Ipod. I know that Becker has a cable/adaptor for this, and I think it also provide charging for the Ipod. Does a 210 have the remote CD changer capability/input?