Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am looking to get either a 04/05 GT3 or an 07/08 S coupe. I would love a new but that is the extent of my wallet :) . Question is - which is a better car with these parameters in mind:

1) It will be my daily driver

2) I will be driving it in the winter with winter tires

3) I like to do most of the maintainence myself

"Poshness" dosen't matter - I like handling and firm suspension

Thoughts?

Edited by PorschePower06

Hard to make that call but for an all season daily driver I would go for the 07 /08 S 997. It a great car and very civilized. In my opinion the 997 is a better car than the 996. Make sure you get one with the Sport Chrono package.. Makes a big difference.

Both are easy to work on..

I think you may regret the GT3 as an all season car. It was after all designed to be a race car...

Just my 2 cents.....

I am looking to get either a 04/05 GT3 or an 07/08 S coupe. I would love a new but that is the extent of my wallet :) . Question is - which is a better car with these parameters in mind:

1) It will be my daily driver

2) I will be driving it in the winter with winter tires

3) I like to do most of the maintainence myself

"Poshness" dosen't matter - I like handling and firm suspension

Thoughts?

Have you ever driven a GT3? I love it and could live with it most everyday but it has a very heavy clutch and that would be noticed in traffic. Much harsher ride, like Phil said it is designed to be what it is, a race car. Phenomenal engine....I am confident that the Good Lord has one himself parked outside the pearly gates.

This is a "tough" decision to make and you can't go wrong with either one. Do you intend to track the car? If not then the S might be more livable. If you are going to track the car and can afford it, get the GT3 and never look back. Hard to imagine ever outgrowing that car on the track. Everyone I know in PCA who has one loves them.

BUT there is a reason you find so many low mile GT3's for sale and it is NOT because they lack performance....

All the best,

Scott

Hard to make that call but for an all season daily driver I would go for the 07 /08 S 997. It a great car and very civilized. In my opinion the 997 is a better car than the 996. Make sure you get one with the Sport Chrono package.. Makes a big difference.

Both are easy to work on..

I think you may regret the GT3 as an all season car. It was after all designed to be a race car...

Just my 2 cents.....

One last thing, I agree with Phil, get a 997. I have a 996 and the difference is HUGE. The 997 GT3 may be more of a stretch but the investment will be worth it in the end.

Scott

Thanks for the opinions! I have not driven a GT3 but it is my favorite Porsche which is why I am torn. I love the idea of the street legal race car. I see what you mean with the low miles on them as most I have seen in my price range have significantly less than a 997. I do have concerns about driving the GT3 in the snow. Would love to get a 4x4 beater for the winter but I have no room. I guess I could have the wife drive me in our CayenneS :) At some point I would like to track - how does the GT3 wear ?

I suggest you go drive both cars. I peronally am waiting for another year or so to acquire a 2010 GT3. The prices should be down to where the 07's are today. You can get an 07 997GT3 in the high $70k's. If you can afford that go for the 997!

If not drive the 997 S and the 996 GT3 and see what you think.. The GT3 engine shares the same basic engine block as the Turbo and is much less prone to problems seen in the pre 2009 Carrera engines (intermediate shaft.)

There is nothing like the sound and handling of the GT3. If you lived in California I would say get the GT3. But since you want to drive it in the snow I'm not so sure... I have a freind that drives cross country in his GT3.. So I guess it depends on you..

Let us know how you progress

Hi Guys,

Having read all comments as well as driven both cars, here's my 2 cents:

- The GT3 is a pure joy to drive and as close to a race car as you can get on the road as many suggested, however... it is a 996... when you drive both you will understand what I mean, the updates to the chasis, handling, cockpit are susbstantial moving from a 996 to a 997 eventhough the GT3 is in a complete different class than a carrera

to branch off that,

- The carrera will be the perfect car if you are going to utilize it as a daily driver, I have had my 2005 997 S cab for a few over a year now and has been my primary driver in canada during the summer months and in florida during the winter (although the car does not see snow, I have seen many with winter rubber around during the winter months in canada and porsche has actually started advertising this even on carrera's, they want you to drive it in snow!)

Besides that, Though you are giving up the joy's of driving a GT3, i reckon the harder ride, stiffer suspension and transmission would take a toll on you if you are driving it a lot! I absolutely love my C2S and most likely will own one for a long time to come along side my other rides.

Hope that helps

Sam