Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Buying a Used 996 : Looking for a same advice

Hi Guys,

I have narrowed my search to two Porsche 996's.

#1 2001 C2 Carrera 85k miles, Dark Blue, Aftermarket Navigation, full service records, no leaks (yet...), clutch redone at 79K all service records provided, no accidents. Runs very smoothly

Cost 22K

#2 2002 C4 Carrera Cab. 52K miles, Red, Full service records, Preowned Porsche Inspection just completed, RMS expected for repair (based on PPI report) in a years time. minor sagging in sway bars, full service records, no accidents, runs very smoothly

Cost 30K

These are two very different cars but I really love both. I would lean towards #1 but I'm a bit worried about the higher mileage. Both have checked out very well mechanically but I do fear the oil leaks.

I'm coming from previously owning a 2004 Z4 and B5 Audi S4 so I'm definitely set on the 996 until I can eventually afford a 997. I'm just looking for some personal opinions.

Thanks,

It's a personal thing, so it's hard for anyone here to offer advice against what are two very nice cars in their own right. I ultimately chose the C4 Cab (it didn't have a hardtop, so I bought one off of eBay and had it resprayed to match), as I wanted a daily driver and it allows me to have all-wheel drive in the winter months and top-down driving in the late Spring, Summer & Fall. I'd say get in one of them, before you miss out on any more driving ;-)

Hey there,

Just based on the fact that you're in Canada, my guess is that the C4 may better fit your driving needs. You just have to make sure that the price difference is worth it to you, and estimate the future expenses due to the RMS change, etc.

Alternatively, be patient. There are lots of cars out there and you could wait until you find the one that causes you no hesitation.

Regardless, good luck with your purchase. You will end up loving whichever 911 you buy.

Cheers.

Edited by Beaglehusky

Look at more cars. There are so many 996's out there. If you're patient you will find exactly what you want. Make sure you get the car inspected by a dealer or independent before any purchase. It's the best money you will ever spend.

If you can find a car with a reman Porsche engine that is a plus.

You can do a search here on what to look for when shopping for a 996. it ha been covered many times.

Good luck!

I would personally vote for the 02 over the 01 in order to get the improved engine and interior.

However something else to keep in mind between a C2 and C4 is that the C4 has less trunk space. For me that would be a big problem since I frequently take it on day or weekend trips with my wife and 2 little boys. With the C2 you can fit two carry-on sized suitcases in the front :-)

I don't believe that is possible on the C4.

First, you need to decide if you want a convertible or not. That would be the primary factor for me. They are louder, but as far I am concerned so much fun on a nice day with the top down. Also, the rear seats have a more foward angle, making the rear passengers a little less comfortable. I have a 1999 C4 Cabriolet and love it. The C4 is handles great on wet roads. My choice would be the C4 Cab.