Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fabspeed Bypass Pipes HELP!

I'm trying to install them myself. Removing all the other hardware off the 2ndary cats is a piece of cake. But does anyone out there know how to remove the top nuts? I heard they were a nightmare, and indeed they are. they're nearly impossible to get off!

I spent the last 2.5 hours trying to get them off! :cursing:

HELP!!! is there a trick?

Edited by M A $ E

thanks itzkirb!

It's late now and I finally got the top nut of the drivers side. I'll try removing the wheel tomorrow on the passenger's side and maybe go buy a really long extension and try it form the engine bay as well.

FYI, I started the car up with the cats seperated from the mufflers. MAn does it sound awesome! loud enough to where my wife came out to see what the hell I was doing to her car!

BTW, your cars are looking killer! how's the supercharger working out for you?

we have very similar car combos...

Well I finished the bypass pipes saturday morning and I'm very HAPPY with them!!!

They sound great and help the car move a little quicker on the highway.

Did I mention they sound great? you can finally hear the V8 and a bit of turbo whine. I def reccommend this mod to any 955TT out there!

OK, so I gotten alot of info on this board, so it's time for me to give some back. You can totally install these yourself in a couple of hours, as long as you know what you have ahead of you.

1. with some WD40 on the nuts ;) , you should be easily able to loosen the metal sleeves that join the 2ndry cats to the pipes that lead to the muffler. there are 2 nuts on each sleeve. NO need to remove them, just slide them over to disconnect the 2 pipes.

2. each flange that connects the 2ndry cat to the primary cats, is held by 3 bolts --6 in total. On inspection, you'll notice that 4 of the six (2 on each side) are no- brainers as far as removal. remove them. and move onto the one at the top of the flange on the driver's side. It takes a little bit of work, but with persistence, you'll get it off in no time.

3. The nightmare bolt at the top of the flange on the passenger side: is actually really easy as long as you have the right tools. after hearing back from itzkirb, who suggested that I either remove the wheel (as he did it) or to go through the engine bay, I opted for the latter. I went to Autozone and bought two 24" socket extensions and a U joint extension to connect the two 24" exts (this help give the extention contraption some side-to-side mobility) .

My wife then held the extension steady at the engine bay as I went under the car to guide it into the nut. Came back up and easy wrenched it off.

VOILA!

4. went back in reverse order (didn't need the extention trick to get the top bolt back on, since without the cats you have more room and the fact that there is steel flex mesh to provide some give), checked for leaks and did a test run!

It's def a DIY project. why waste $150 for installation? you could use that money for the BMC filters!

GOOD LUCK!