Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'04 Cayenne S strange starting problem...

I have an '04 Cayenne S 64k miles, battery is new, no aftermarkets, it takes sometimes 4 tries to start the car, yet sometimes it will start on the first try. Starts to turn and quits or sometimes doesnt spark at all. Yes the brake is depressed. What can I try before the stealership, it sounds like a relay is bad maybe. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

I'm mechanically inclined so not afraid to get dirty if I have to.....

Do you have two batteries and if so, which one did you replace? Many had a main battery located under the left front seat and a starting battery located in the spare tire carrier area.

No, ONE battery under the seat, rear has factory Bose subwoofer, not the battery.

PLEASE ANYONE?

It's over a year later, stealership said it was the battery and I put a new battery in and did the same thing so I put the old battery back. There must be others with this issue. Another detail is that if it doesnt start on the first two attempts, you have to turn the key completely to the left and then to the right to get it to crank again and 90% of the time it will start after that key turn to the left then right.

Edited by myPepper

• 2 months later...

You are not alone - SAME PROBLEM HERE!

75% of the time I need to do it twice - but nearly all of the time it starts on the second attempt. I too got a new battery (none in the trunk either) with no difference.

Mine doesn't even crank.

I almost got used to it - but still very annoying, suggestion highly appreciated.

Thanks.

I bet it has to do with where the starter is located and crap leaks on it and its corrosion at the pos and neg terminals and if we can just get to them and clean em up it would be fine. Can you imagine the stealership saying, "the starter terminals needed cleaning, just give me an hour labor", I can here them laughing here to Germany!:renntech:

You are not alone - SAME PROBLEM HERE!

75% of the time I need to do it twice - but nearly all of the time it starts on the second attempt. I too got a new battery (none in the trunk either) with no difference.

Mine doesn't even crank.

I almost got used to it - but still very annoying, suggestion highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Does it advise you apply the brake for cranking? Depending on the start control module coding you might or might not have to apply the brake so I would verify that the brake light switch is operating correctly.