Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Would like to connect ipod and cd changer to a cdr-220

I have a cdr-220 connected to a cdc3 cd changer. I do not want to change the head unit but I would like to connect an ipod to the system. However unlike all the cables and other options i have found online i DO NOT want to disconnect and loose the cd changer.

I am not fussed about charging the ipod or seeing track info on the head unit. The ipod would mount on the dash somewhere but i want a high quality input rather than an fm modulator.

Is there anything out there that will take the cd changer output from the cdr-220, split it to the cd changer and the ipod, and give me a manual switch which i could route and mount discretly in the cabin to select between the two?

I know i could put in an EQ or sound processor between my head unit or amp that adds an additional aux input but i would prefer a simpler solution if possible.

Thanks

Having installed the AUX-in cable to the CDR-220 in my (now defunct) Boxster S, I can say this (which you may already know): the reason everyone says that you must disconnect the CD changer is that the solutions for AUX-in involve the same connector as the CD changer.

Here is what you could do: if you are willing to cut a wire, you could find the Audio-in and Audio ground connections on that connector, clip on end and run it to a switching 3.5mm headphone jack. This way, when the iPod was plugged in, you would disconnect the CD changer, and vice-versa.

My commentary: once you have the iPod connected, you will never use the CD Changer again.

References:

http://www.iwirep.com/products/iwirep-220-ipod

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/aux_input_CR_CDR%20220.html

http://www.dension.com/product/iPod-iPhone-car-adapters/iPod-car-kits/bluetooth-car-kits/gateway-500

I'm wondering it is possible to built a "SELECTOR SWITCH" where you can choose CD changer or ipod.

That was essentially the idea behind my suggestion to use a "switching" 3.5mm jack. This is a jack to which you run both a source wire and a return (per channel). When a plug is inserted, that source is selected (mechanically), and when it is removed, the other (default) source is sent down the return. This appears to be how Becker Audio's hack for the CDR23 works, using the FM input in the head end.

On another note, it puzzles me that no one has come up with a comprehensive CD-changer emulator that works over Bluetooth. SIgh.

What most worry me is that I have the CDR-210 which has no decent single cable.

I'm wondering it is possible to built a "SELECTOR SWITCH" where you can choose CD changer or ipod.

That was essentially the idea behind my suggestion to use a "switching" 3.5mm jack. This is a jack to which you run both a source wire and a return (per channel). When a plug is inserted, that source is selected (mechanically), and when it is removed, the other (default) source is sent down the return. This appears to be how Becker Audio's hack for the CDR23 works, using the FM input in the head end.

On another note, it puzzles me that no one has come up with a comprehensive CD-changer emulator that works over Bluetooth. SIgh.

• 3 years later...