Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help with IPOD/Aux (2008 Carrera S)

Hi guys,

I just bought a used 2008 Carrera S, the dealership did not have the owner's manual, and I haven't been able to find a download for the 08. First, I wanted to state how amazing the performance of the car is, this is my first true sports car and what a difference it is. I had a few questions that I hope some of you can help out with:

1) What PCM version do I have (my car has navigation), I see the donwloads for various PCM versions on the forum, but I'm not sure if which one I have

2) The car has what looks like a native installed IPOD/aux in, in the storage console between the seats, there's an old PC style adapter that has both an ipod plug and a USB plug. Do you guys know what this is and how to use it? I can't see any option for aux in the car's audio menu.

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed installation of the Porsche Audio Interface in my 2007 997. This is the option that gives you the two jacks in the center console compartment, one "AUX" and one "i-Pod". It functions as an FM modulator to deliver signals to the PCM from the audio device that you have plugged into the jacks, blocking out input from the FM antenna when a signal from your external audio device is being received. Works OK, but not as well as one of the expensive "bridge" device interfaces which go directly into the fiber optic inputs of the PCM. It functions more like a high-quality FM broadcast, without background interference. The i-Pod adapter cable that comes from Porsche with the package has a DIN (round) connector that plugs into the "i-Pod" jack with the flat Apple connector for i-Pod on the other end. I think the cable you have is for a newer i-Pod/i-Phone that charges through a USB connector, and possibly is designed to also work with older i-Pods and the i-Pod Touch that use the flat style connector. The Porsche-supplied adapter cable charges the i-Pod through the flat connector, but doesn't adapt to those with a USB port.

There is a way to get your PCM to tell you what model it is, but I don't remember how to access it.

Forgot to mention that the way you access the signal from the audio interface is to select FM (on the PCM) and scan or search the frequencies until you come to "AUX". You can then set "AUX" as a memory into one of the PCM station memory keys by holding the key down until you hear an audible beep. I set mine to the "0" key. I have the manual that comes with the audio interface package, but it is not much help beyond what I have described.