Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing Remote-Control Key Battery

Hi Guys,

Need your expertise here! It's time to change my key battery of my MY02 Cab.

What's the best way to open the cover of the key head? I really don't want to damage the edge of the key head cover with "small screw driver or finger nail (as described in the TSB)". :help:

Also, somebody told me the battery is a part of the original warranty. Is it true?

If not, where to get the battery and roughly how much?

Thanks and Happy Holidays! :cheers:

So what I learned by replacing a 996 keyhead for a GT head is that there are 3 safeguards for the key. The first is the standard metal key. The second is the "guts" or electronics that remotely unlock the door. The third is the capsule that enables the ignition when you turn the key. If you are exchanging key heads you need to exchange ALL three parts. Keep them in separate piles as the guts look exactly alike and it gets confusing when you are concentrating on not damaging anything.

As a tip to split the key handle, the GT handle has its tongue and groove along the sides and the front but not the back. The 996 keyhead has a 1/2 inch tongue and groove along the lateral left and right sides only. You will need a thin, at least 1/2 inch blade to safely separate the halves. I took a dulled Personna single edged razor blade along the entire long GT edge and twisted in a anterior posterior motion where the tongue and groove let loose at the long axis of the handle and popped apart without damage. You can do the same with the 996 head but it has an easier entry if you slide a corner of the blade from the beveled top front to get the entire blade to the side and do the twisting there. The guts are exactly the same in both units except the glass capsule is gooed into the GT and snapped into the 996 version. You may need some sticky substance to keep the clean 996 exchanged glass capsule in place in the GT remote. The GT electronic board sits in the remote and the 996 snaps in. Interestingly the inside of the 996 head is more sophisticated than the fancy GT head (altho the glowing GT symbol is cool.)

The battery is a CR2032 Lithium button. I have heard the Sanyo batteries are better, But that is difficult to prove. This snaps out easily with the positive facing up. You may as well use new batteries since the range on these remotes is poor.

To exchange the key, it is pretty easy to pop the spring loaded metal key holder with the remote open, careful that the little bitty spring doesn't pop off the table. Fine tweezers are helpful. Also keep the orientation of the spring loaded mechanism the same since it is notched on one side to more easily snap the key in place. Seat the rubber tubing/seal in place along the groove to make sure both halfs snap together flushly. Make sure the rubber seal is in its groove and not twisted, the round seal is square-ish in cross section and you will not get a flush snap if it is twisted. Squeeze anterior and posterior together by applying lateral pressure at the tongue/groove one side at a time.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I moved my key innards to the GT housing today. It would've been a much more difficult process without your instructions.

My Targa has 3 remote switches. I had resolved to give up the rear glass switch to get the GT key working if the buttons were bigger and easier to use. They are. I unsoldered the two switches for the trunk and rear glass, and soldered the trunk switch onto the center pads on my circuit board. It works perfectly. :clapping:

• 2 months later...
Thanks a lot for the explanation.  I moved my key innards to the GT housing today.  It would've been a much more difficult process without your instructions.

My Targa has 3 remote switches.  I had resolved to give up the rear glass switch to get the GT key working if the buttons were bigger and easier to use.  They are.  I unsoldered the two switches for the trunk and rear glass, and soldered the trunk switch onto the center pads on my circuit board.  It works perfectly.  :clapping:

What a great idea about the razor blade. I was stuggling to get the GT3 housing open and hoped there would be an answer here. Worked like a charm. I also took my key out and polished it while I was at it. Shines like gold now!

Thanks for the tips..