Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'Tapping' sound & oil pressure gauge / indicator

The car is RoW 2003 C4 Tip, 67000kms, I thought I heard some tapping sound and unsure whether it was normal.

So went to start the car today, surprisingly the oil pressure gauge stayed at 0. Then after putting my seat-belt on, the 'oil-can' failure indicator showed up.

Oil level is fine, I've checked and checked again.

Coolant level is fine and not contaminated.

No leak whatsoever from the bottom.

I've got AA to come and have a look. Started the car again and got 3.5 on the gauge, it was steady and not fluctuating. He thinks it might be the gauge but suggested to bring it to the garage.

Already got an appointment for tomorrow morning at the dealer where I bought the car from.

I managed to record some sound of the car which I'd appreciate if the experts here can offer their opinions on. It was taken facing the right side of the engine bay, just above the drive belt.

I've also attached the picture of the indicator(s) misbehaving.

verfo6.jpg

Edited by 318touring

Ity looks like you have a bad oil pressure transmitter....not an uncommmon problem. In the philosophy of the Porsche engineers, the oil pressure gauge is an "accessory"; the oil pressure idiot light is the real warning device. If you note in your owner's manual, there is a distinct difference in the appropriate steps to be taken vis-a-vis the two indications. BTW, an oil pressure idiot light illumination is recorded and can be displayed (and re-set) with a PST2 or PIWIS. The failure of the transmitter is not recorded, except on a bill written up by the shop that changes the transmitter.

The oil pressure transmitter is relatively easy to change....read, not very time consuming. The "oil pressure switch" (996.606.203.00) costs $53.16 MSRP.

As to the noise, I'll leave that diagnosis to an expert.

Bill

Edited by whall

Whall, where's this display and reset found on the tools?

A low oil pressure event (idiot light illuminated) is logged in the DME and can only be displayed and/or reset with a PST2,a PIWIS or, possibly, a Durametric program.

Unfortunately, I have no operational expertise/experience with the operation of any of these systems other than to have seen a fault displayed and subsequently reset on a MY03 Boxster.

Bill

Thanks for the feedback. Dropped the car off yesterday morning but it wouldn't get a look at until this morning.

Driving around in a 2 litre Audi A3 diesel as a loaner from the dealer. Man! That thing spins its front wheel all the time.

Will let you all know what's the verdict.

• Moderators

The fault warning (lamp/text) on 318touring car is stored in first place in "Combi instrument" memory and can be reset by PIWIS, however, the warning is also stored invisible in the DME but become visible when running a "Vehicle analysis" on line in case of engine troubles - time and duration.