Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Howdy,

Changed the oil on my '09 997.2 C2S after 5K miles. I've changed oil and filter every 5K since I bought it, (after the first oil change). Tot. mileage 25,400 mi. It, (the oil, not the car), was dirty, brown. Why wait the prescribed 10K mi interval? Still think oil change is cheap insurance.

Also, right rear, (drive) tire was worn inside to the metal bands. I heard a rhythmic low freq drone loudest at about 45-60 mph. The alignment was off in camber by 0.2-0.4 degrees. The rear tires only had 8K miles on them and I drive relatively easily. It is my work commuter everyday car. Michelin Pilot II's. The **** tire could have popped with the next manhole cover and the left rear tire still had about 2K meat on it. The front tires probably won't need to be replaced for another 8K. That would make rear to front replacement ration 3/1, We'll see.

What throws the alignment off, just normal driving over railroad tracks and bumps? Loosening of hardware from simple use and vibration? Hard driving? All of the above?

After alignment and new rear tires the thing is sswwweeeeeettttt!!!!!!!

What a machine!! :rolleyes:

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Hi FastEddie,

Just a remark on the tire issue.

A Porsche will "eat"the rear tires if they are not correctly aligned and set up so you really want to look at your tires WEEKLY. You will also find out that tires "suddenly" look bold / worn out that is another "feature" of Porsche and surely, you will see that the rear tires wear off on the inside of the tire first . Standard Operation procedure. Another suggestion is to play with the pressures in the front and rear tires. I used 32 front and 36 back and my tires lasted way longer and drove nicer that way. I personally think that 36 front / 40 back is too hard. I also think that the very expensive tires generally recommended for a Porsche are overkill. Unless of course you track the car on a regular basis. I found that some brands out there at 1/2 the price really provide 8-9/10 of the performance of the most expensive tires. Performance, that you basically can not use on the streets anyway. Look at Hankook, Fuzion and such tires. You will be pleasantly surprized and your checkbook will love you.

Howdy,

Changed the oil on my '09 997.2 C2S after 5K miles. I've changed oil and filter every 5K since I bought it, (after the first oil change). Tot. mileage 25,400 mi. It, (the oil, not the car), was dirty, brown. Why wait the prescribed 10K mi interval? Still think oil change is cheap insurance.

Also, right rear, (drive) tire was worn inside to the metal bands. I heard a rhythmic low freq drone loudest at about 45-60 mph. The alignment was off in camber by 0.2-0.4 degrees. The rear tires only had 8K miles on them and I drive relatively easily. It is my work commuter everyday car. Michelin Pilot II's. The **** tire could have popped with the next manhole cover and the left rear tire still had about 2K meat on it. The front tires probably won't need to be replaced for another 8K. That would make rear to front replacement ration 3/1, We'll see.

What throws the alignment off, just normal driving over railroad tracks and bumps? Loosening of hardware from simple use and vibration? Hard driving? All of the above?

After alignment and new rear tires the thing is sswwweeeeeettttt!!!!!!!

What a machine!! :rolleyes:

Ed