Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

suggestions with strippped T-30 screw

I was removing 4 spoke steering wheel and stripped t30 screws holding airbag in place. I went thru archives and I think I found a solution that suggests using Sears screw remover kit.

If anyone has better suggestion, before I do the deed please chime in.

• Moderators

The screw is very hard metal and I doubt you stripped it. I do not know if you are using a torx screw driver or a torx bit on a ratchet. It takes a while to find the correct position of the tool so that it will engage into the screw. The screw is also on an angle, so you need to have the tool on an angle to engage the head of the screw. Move your tool around and on angles and I bet it will catch the head of the screw. A bit of a pain since you cannot see what you are doing.

I use a long #30 torx bit on my ratchet and the pictures will give you an idea of the angle of the screws. Once you engage the screw it will take a bit of effort to break it free as there is loctite on the threads. Also, do not turn in the wrong direction since you are working 'backwards.' The screws will not fall out but stay in the steering wheel. Once the air bag starts falling away from the wheel hold it in your hand so that it does not hang from the connector. Don't forget to disconnect your battery first. Then let us know how it turned out.

tools_airbag_001.sized.jpg

03_trip20_001.sized.jpg

trip15.sized.jpg

Well bozo with power tools did strip it. I got "screw out" from Sears and tried it. Outside of making screw shinny and clean it did not do anything.

Now what???

Do I drill it to death or continue with "screw out" untill there is nothing left?

I have oil change sched on Friday, should I just leave it to a qualified person to "unf*ck" it

• Moderators

Bring your car to San Jose and I will get it out.

Number of ways to remove a screw. Keep in mind that is is very small and the torque spec is only 7.5 foot pounds, but there is loctite on the threads.

Drill off the head with a normal straight bit. Keep it on an angle like in my pic. Going to need an angle drill, and a 13/64 or 7/32 bit which is just a hair larger than the shaft of the screw. Remove the cluster if you need room to work. This is the top of the screw so you will know what you are drilling into. Jeff

air_bag_screw1.sized.jpg