Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New member looking for comments

Hi,

I own a 2001 C4 996 Tiptronics for one year, got near 80Km, (130,000 kilos)

drives like brand new, motor is dry, everything is in perfect shape for now.

Is there anything in particular I should look for in term of maintenance in the future and

is there a kind of limit mileage before which I should resale the car in order no to loose

too much of his value ?

Your posts will be well appreciated !

Hello!

I wish every car came with a crystal ball. When to sell. How long to "keep it". Unfortunately the price of our older model 996's have been plummeting as of late.

Without knowing the maintenance history of the car to this date, it's tough to say what should or shouldn't be done. Do you have the previous owners service records?

Another good place to look. Have you looked at the owners manual to see the recommended service items for your cars mileage?

Perhaps if you have and can share a little bit about the major service history, someone here might be able to recommend some areas to look at.

Cheers!

...Assuming you paid the going market rate when you bought your car, you *must* have noticed that it's already lost most of its value.

It's not an investment (not in the financial sense anyway). Drive it. Enjoy it. Don't worry about depreciation.

As for irregular maintenance, listen to your car (it does have 130K km after all), don't ignore anything that sounds or feels out of the ordinary. At some point you may wish to install the soon to be released IMS warning system from Flat 6 - or if you have to drop your tranny for any reason, get the LNE IMS retrofit done.

...Assuming you paid the going market rate when you bought your car, you *must* have noticed that it's already lost most of its value.

It's not an investment (not in the financial sense anyway). Drive it. Enjoy it. Don't worry about depreciation.

As for irregular maintenance, listen to your car (it does have 130K km after all), don't ignore anything that sounds or feels out of the ordinary. At some point you may wish to install the soon to be released IMS warning system from Flat 6 - or if you have to drop your tranny for any reason, get the LNE IMS retrofit done.

Thanks Guys,

The car had only one owner and I got all the paperwork confirming the maintenace and repairs, it does not show anything major,

as far as the price i've paid +/- 5 to 6k$ below the street price,