Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Will not start after DYI Ignition Switch Replacement

After intermittent lights, turnsignal and fan problem in prior topic for my 1999 C2 996, I decided to replace the $12 ignition switch. I followed DIY instructions which were great including trying to start before buttoning up. I reconnected battery and tried to start. All lights came on but no ignition sounds at all (no solenoid click). I checked out wont start topics and sounds like battery could be bad as Lauren warned in prior blog. Battery does not have date stamp so do not know how much older than two years I have had car. I cleaned terminals and charged two hours (it appeared to be taking charge) and tried again. Same result. I had not had any prior starting problems before replacing ignition switch. Any thoughts on chance of battery bad, other problem caused by my DIY switch replacement, random failure of clutch switch, chance of defective new part, etc.

If lights come on - and do not dim when you try and start - it is probably not battery. Look at the voltmeter - battery should be just over 12V before you try and start (14V running) - if it drops to much less than 12V when you turn the key - that could be the cause - but my guess is it is something related to ignition switch replacement you just did. Next thing to check would be clutch switch and DME fuse or fuel pump relay .....

After intermittent lights, turnsignal and fan problem in prior topic for my 1999 C2 996, I decided to replace the $12 ignition switch. I followed DIY instructions which were great including trying to start before buttoning up. I reconnected battery and tried to start. All lights came on but no ignition sounds at all (no solenoid click). I checked out wont start topics and sounds like battery could be bad as Lauren warned in prior blog. Battery does not have date stamp so do not know how much older than two years I have had car. I cleaned terminals and charged two hours (it appeared to be taking charge) and tried again. Same result. I had not had any prior starting problems before replacing ignition switch. Any thoughts on chance of battery bad, other problem caused by my DIY switch replacement, random failure of clutch switch, chance of defective new part, etc.

I checked out battery per Solent above and battery checked out OK. thanks Solent. Decided to try old ignition switch but in process of removing new one, found that there was play in its position on shaft. I pushed it full forward and tried to start car and it worked. I then retightened set screws to hold ignition switch in full forward position. Evertthing back together and working normal so far. Yea. Thanks to all who helped with original problem and this one.