Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster Coupe to be called....

..... drumroll...............

Cayman

Oh my Gawd :(

Bad translation from Auto Motor Und sport magazine

Porsche Boxster Coupé is called Cayman under the independent name Cayman brings to Porsche in the spring 2006 the Boxster Coupé on the market. World premiere is to already be on the Frankfurt IAA in the autumn 2005. The Porsche selling people want to position the Cayman - as it could be different - over the Boxster: both concerning the price and technically. Because of the Coupé body more rigid in relation to the open version the Cayman is to offer a still more precise and agileres handling than the Boxster. As motorizing at the beginning of only the s-version with 3,2-Liter-Sechszylinder and 320 HP one offers. In the case of cockpit organization and equipment there is to be however no considerable differences to the roadster. The model name Cayman wakes associations to crocodiles: Kaimane are an alligator kind.

Me too i'm sceptical.

It does not make sense in term of product positionning to create a boxster with the same power as a 911. This will canibalise sales of the 911 which has much better margin than the Boxster...

If they come with a hard top version it will be with the same engine as the curent offering.

Me too i'm sceptical.

It does not make sense in term of product positionning to create a boxster with the same power as a 911. This will canibalise sales of the 911 which has much better margin than the Boxster...

If they come with a hard top version it will be with the same engine as the curent offering.

I think it make a lot of sense in many ways. The luxury market is getting more segmented; particular in a downward price direction. Porsche's only offering is a cab (the boxster)in the 50k range, but at that price point they are competing with the likes of Corvette (for example) and other offering coupes. As long as they keep the 911 a step ahead in performance and technology, people would have a budget to spend $80-90K and want the best, they will go with the 911 rather than settle for some less. Also, it offers a lower price "rung" to get potenetial buyers in the door (and in hope they will trade-up later; automotive pricing theory...not sure if it is true) Granted people are price-value sensitive, but in the end you don't buy a Porsche to save money :D

How do you mean it makes sense to you?  ....That Porsche should produce a $50K car that has performance numbers that rival (or exceed) the 911 so that the lower price rung buyers will bite?  Not sure I follow your logic.

You missed my statement in the previosu post....."As long as they keep the 911 a step ahead in performance and technology,"

Moreover, look at what Japanese brands do (e.g. Lexus/Toyota % Nissan/Infiniti). In those cases, they even use the same chassis and just dress it and charge 20-40%. I continue to be amazed that people buy a Lexus 300 which is nothing more than a dressed up Toyota Camry.

Porsche is taking a significant but important step by keep in the 911 chassis as a high end only product. Also, I am sure you will see they will continue to introduce things first on the 911 and then in later model years make it available to the lower priced models.