Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How do you shift gears?

Just wondering how many of you blip the gas when downshifting? How about heel-toe shifting?

I have been trying to match the speed with the rpm but heel-toe is still elusive. Any suggestions?

BTW the car is great, all the negative rap (e.g. "punishing ride") does not seem to be relevant. My only concern is it makes me want to drive fast and a little bit like a jerk. A nice one, I hope : )

Gyorgy

I am sure that someone will rise up to contradict me, but I don't see a lot of advantage in so-called "heel-and-toe" downshifting, except in those circumstances where you've entered a tight curve a little too "hot", to the point that a sudden downshift will risk breaking the back end loose. A race driver would differ, but in that situation I prefer to stay in the higher gear through the curve and use engine braking, downshifting after the curve.

I understand the advantage in racing, but still wonder, with modern synchros and good tires, whether there is any real advantage in road driving. My C4S hardly every puts me in a situation where I'm worried about the rear end staying behind me.

On a related subject, I've noticed in city driving that I get substantially better gas mileage if I skip second gear most of the time, and go from first to third very quickly off of a light or stop sign. The C4S has more than enough torque for that. My Boxster used to get 18-20 mpg in the city, and when the C4S started getting 12, I was a touch upset. But I've got it up over 18 most of the time now, and 22-24 mpg on the highway, except when I'm having fun. But nobody owns a Porsche for the fuel economy.

I am doing the blipping to make the shift smoother, otherwise the transition from one gear to the next is more noticeable, I can feel as the clutch engages.

My gas mileage was great -over 26- to and from work which is 25% highway, 60% country roads and the rest city driving. It dropped to 24ish once I learned about keeping the rpm above 2k. I have an inclination to drive in the highest possible gear but I understand it is not necessarily good for the car.

Thanks for your input.