Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition switch does not work!?

Cayenne S '04, open door & milage lights up, warning in center says steering is faulty, insert ignition

key, turn to right, no light in gauges come on & it never says START MOTOR.

Ignition is not coming on!! Yet ignition switch feels normal. I have checked all fuses, all OK

Do these have ignition switch problems?

Is it a key less entry problem?

Thanks for looking

RSK

I did it my self & I run a small shop outside Montreal, I think the owner had been running the CS with a bad battery for months, because he said lately he's been turning the key to the left and then the center display would say start engine.

He would then turn to the right & it would start, he's been doing this for weeks if not longer!!!

I removed the battery & it had just 8 volts/no load, installed new interstate battery & ignition switch feels normal, yet seams ignition switch does not work at all.

does something need to be reset? basic settings? or has damage been done?

Battery was carfuly installed using proper proceedures, I have checked fuses in engine compartment & side of dash, Am I missing others?

Thanks RSK

Chances are the gateway has lost communication within the network. You'll need the Porsche scan tool to try and clear the code and restart the system. Do you also have a steering wheel/lock or any other faults showing in the display?

Steering fault is shown in center display after opening drivers door, I have a PST2 & Durametric but will not work because ignition can't be turned on!

Loren if you can find that TSB, is it possible with PST2 or just with a Piwis?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Piwis includes a special menu in which the ignition possition can be avoided to do some test in case of a faulty steering column for example, which is a possible cause of your problem also. That option is missing or not working well with a PST2, as far as i remember.

'04 cs, open drivers door, milage lights up, insert key in ignition & center display says steering faulty!!!, DTC plug under dash has power with key out!! as it should.

Durametric will not work with key turned to ignition on, it says to check cable! no K-wire power from ECU's?!!

fuse box in engine compartment, ECU fuses #9,10 & 11, no power ignition on or off, fuse #15 ECU & fuel pump has POWER with key out of ignition

Feels to me I have a bad relay or ignition switch,

How about disconnecting both batterys & connecting both battery cables together for 10 seconds(just cables under the drivers seat) could it be SOS (stuck on stupid?)

Thanks to all for looking!

yes in the owners manual pg 175...

I have the same problem!! i was driving my cayenne 04 v6, but first, the computer showed a message add coolant!! and i did it!!then after showed the steering fault!! i am from bolivia and in my country there is not a porsche center assistance!! I dont know what to do!! any help will be apreciate!! thanks a lot!!!

I have the same problem!! i was driving my cayenne 04 v6, but first, the computer showed a message add coolant!! and i did it!!then after showed the steering fault!! i am from bolivia and in my country there is not a porsche center assistance!! I dont know what to do!! any help will be apreciate!! thanks a lot!!!

Have you tested the battery??

The plot thickens!!

Today the owner of CS has said he had forced the steering wheel after it would not start, I think in an attempt to straiten the front wheels for a tow truck!

Now with not to much presure a very loud ratchetting sound/clicking coming from the steering coluum when you turn the steering wheel!!!

Looks like it needs a steering coluum.

Anyone with an idea of how long this job would take? Any speical precautions?

Have you tested the battery??

thanks for helping me !!! sorry not reply you sooner!! yes i have tested the battery and aparently is ok!! but my cayenne have 100000km !!might I replace the battery?? please could you tell me the specifications of this battery!! I will check it again!! thanks a lot!! Edited by jccd

Piwis includes a special menu in which the ignition possition can be avoided to do some test in case of a faulty steering column for example, which is a possible cause of your problem also. That option is missing or not working well with a PST2, as far as i remember.

sorry!! please may i ask you a question??I am new to having a porsche!! and I am with the same steering faulty problem!! but WHAT IS PIWIS?? IS JUST A CABLE OR IS A SCANNER?? is the same KTS?? THANKS A LOT!!!

Edited by jccd

• Admin

sorry!! please may i ask you a question??I am new to having a porsche!! and I am with the same steering faulty problem!! but WHAT IS PIWIS?? IS JUST A CABLE OR IS A SCANNER?? is the same KTS?? THANKS A LOT!!!

PIWIS = Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System (replaces the PST2) (from our online Glossary)

This is a Porsche specific tool that all dealers/OPC shops are required to have and many independent Porsche shops also have.

A typical scanner can only read and reset emissions related fault codes. A PIWIS can do that as well as detailed diagnostics and re-programming/updating of all control modules.

A typical scanner is under $100 - a PIWIS is leased from Porsche for about $18,000 per year (includes monthly updates).