Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Maintenance recommendations

Hello,

I bought my car, 2000 S, about 6 months ago with 17,000 miles on it. All the previous maintenance was done at the dealership. My car has now about 23,000 miles.

I found out that some of the maintenance outside the regular schedules was not done like flushing the brakes for example. I did it this weekend after I bought a Power Bleeder but could not flush the clutch. Stupidily I could not locate the bleeding valve even though I read Loren DIY !!!! If somebody has a picture that would be greatly appreciated.

My questions is what would you do on a 5 year old car to make sure that it will stay in pristine conditions. I am going to do the 30,000 miles service myself but how about other maintenance items that are not listed in the regular maintenance schedule?

- Flush coolant? (done by a shop with a vacuum tool or DIY?, shop to recommend in North Bay area)

- Flush Power steering fluid?

- Change gearbox oil?

- etc..

Thank You for your help

Happy Boxstering

Coolant is supposed to be lifetime for 996, same w PS fluids. At 23k, your tranny oil should be fine.

Check the service / mantenance section of the forum. I think spark plugs are due at 30K mi and brake fluid every 2 yrs are the only things outside of 15/30k service intervals.

• Moderators

We filmed the 30k service on a Boxster and 996 the same day at the same time. Maybe some day it will be on a DVD. Madam No Fear, with her 2000 2.7 was the star of the Boxster part of the movie as she did almost all the work herself.

As for the 2000 spark plug debate. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=720

I do the clutch bleed after the left rear brake is done because the wheel is off. Hard to see so you do it by feel. Some cars have a 9 mm bleed nipple and some have a 11 mm. Stop by at the next work on cars and we will show you how to do it.

post-4-1107206728_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Thank you for the picture it is greatly appreciated !!!

I did not have a jack stand so I was not confortable to do a thorough search.

Next time I will even had the beer bottle for extra safety as you suggested :clapping: . I will try again in a few weeks by just topping the liquid off.

Regarding the coolant, is it true that it should last a life time. I came across different opinions on that subject. That would be nice to know if it is something I should plan on doing. Regarding power steering fluid you just top it off? Do you ever flush that fluid?

Thank you for your help.

PS: I will definitely come to your work on cars. Unfortunately I always had some issues at work which prevented me from dropping by as I live up north. I will bring the beer next time. :cheers:

• Moderators

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...2&st=0&p=18113&

Coolant is always a hot subject, like what oil to use.

Porsche claims life time but ARTECO, the company that makes it, calls it long life. Other companies use terms such as extended life. You see 5-7 years and 100-150k miles numbers thrown around.

So many local owners have had engine replacements and coolant tank replacements - who knows what is the life time a the M96 motor, or the coolant. Maybe when the lease is up. After almost 6 years of Boxstering I know of no engine problem related to coolant.

No need to flush the power steering. If you need to top it off then it is Pentosin CHF 11S and nothing else. Synthetic, also used by Mercedes and BMW. $25 a liter in the green can but you need just an ounce or two to top off. Henry in SF has a can he may not need....