Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

911 Shopping Advice Needed

Looking to purchase a used 05-06' MY C4S or 911 Turbo. I currently own a 04' Cayenne S, so I am somewhat familiar with the Porsche ownership experience but totally green with regard to 911's. Any advice on red flags or know issues while shaking perspective vehicles down is greatly appreciated.

Stay away from the 05 997. Too many IMS issues and other problems. Look at 06's and later. The 997 C4S and a pre 2006 Turbo are obviously completely different cars. You should drive both cars and see which one turns you on. There are a lot of great 996 Turbos out there.

My friend has a 2006 C4S and that car is absolutely awesome. I had a 2006 S Carrera and now have a 2007 Turbo. If you budget allows you may want to look at the 2007 Turbo as well. The market is quite soft now so I'm sure you can get a great low mile 2007 Turbo for around $70 -74k range. Maybe less. ... I would advise you to look for a CPO 997 C4S. It will be difficult to find a CPO 996 Turbo. The CPO warranty is awsome and covers everything except wear items (brakes, clutch etc.)

Whatever you do make sure you get the car you're interested in inspected before purchase. This is a must. Also make sure you get a well optioned car. Sport Chrono, PSE, heated / power Sports seats, High end Bose sound system etc...

I hope this helps. Take your time and find exactly what you are looking for (color, interior etc.)

Edited by phillipj

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to purchase a used 05-06' MY C4S or 911 Turbo. I currently own a 04' Cayenne S, so I am somewhat familiar with the Porsche ownership experience but totally green with regard to 911's. Any advice on red flags or know issues while shaking perspective vehicles down is greatly appreciated.

From my (poor) experience, since I am on my first 911, and considering that I do not know which specs are standard in US.

I'd look for a car with:

Must have

• Manual transmission
  • Full leather interior
  • PSE - sport exhaust

Recommended

• Powerkit
  • Sport seats
  • LSD

All other stuff are, for me, simply nice to have.

If you can afford the turbo, go for that!

Edited by Ale_72

• 6 months later...

I believe they had issues with the PCM and battery cables... I can ask my tech.. The engine is the crucial weak point. That being said there are 05 owners that have never had a single issue..

You'll be better of with an 06+ with a Porsche warranty. They are getting very reasonable... I wish I still had mine.. I miss it...

The IMS issue wasn't eliminated until the newer DFI engine was launched in the 2009 cars. IMSB failure certainly could happen in a 2005 car as mentioned above, but it's pretty uncommon. A properly driven, maintained and documented 2005 997 is probably a pretty low risk purchase. A 996 turbo uses a different engine design and doesn't have an IMSB. If you can't afford the 997 turbo, this would be a great option also.